Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
db0
Level 7

Amazon Prime Video not available in my region?

I bought the Roku Express because it advertised that it works with Amazon's Prime Video service to which I'm subscribed to for my region (Luxembourg). However when I look for the channel for it, it doesn't exist. I looked for it via browser, and I found it on the Roku site, but as soon as I login to add it to my account, it disappears and cannot be found via search.

This makes me believe the channel is not available in my region. Is this accurate? Is there anything I can do about this?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Amazon Prime Video not available in my region?

That's correct. Amazon is the one who chooses where the app works and where it doesn't. It doesn't always coincide with where they offer Amazon Prime subscriptions. It seems Amazon decided to not provide their Roku app in your area.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
db0
Level 7

Would Roku have to ask them to make it available to them in that region, or would a customer like me be expected to contact Amazon to inquire about it?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"db0" wrote:
Would Roku have to ask them to make it available to them in that region, or would a customer like me be expected to contact Amazon to inquire about it?

Roku is already happy to make it available everywhere. Going through Amazon might be your best option. Another option might be a different streaming device. I don't know what might be available in your area, but the most likely, to me, option would be the Fire TV. That's Amazon's own device. If they support any, it would be that one, it seems to me. 
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
db0
Level 7

yeah I have already a FireTV Stick but I got burned when I moved to a different country, as my device only supports my previous region. I contected Amazon and they told me to just buy a new International FireTV stick. I felt this is just complete garbage and I thought to try out some competition which advertised international support, and yet again, here I am...
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

That's not fun. Depending on where you bought it, you may be able to return the Roku. I don't know if any Android TV box (Mi box, Nvidia Shield, etc), Chromecast, Apple TV, or other devices would work where you are. They may have you over a barrel insofar as needing one of their International devices.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
db0
Level 7

Thanks. I can still access amazon prime video via phone app and browser, so maybe I'll stick with that, as Roku still has better collection. Just annoying AF. I wish roku made it more easy to check if a channel is available in your region before you buy it.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

The only way, I believe, is to create a Roku account from that area, then search the Channel Store on the Website while logged. Even then, I'm not certain.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
db0
Level 7

Welp. Thanks anyway for confirming my suspicions.
0 Kudos
Bullet77
Level 7

Gotta love Amazon! They sell everything. I am an American now living in Canada. I had Amazon prime in US. Works great! Come to Canada and and didn’t unlink my devices. It worked for about 2 days. I reset my Roku’s to factory and now Roku sees me in Canada the Amazon prime app is no longer available. So I contact Amazon. It is not availabile in Canada. So I drop my Prime with Amazon.
Last December 2017 , sign up for prime in Canada. I needed purchases guarrenteed delivery for Xmas. And they give access to movies and music that doesn’t work here? Yet! Anyway parcels with 2 day delivey showed up in 18 days after xmas. Amazon won’t consider them lost till after 14 days. They investigated and found them and Amazon said I would get them in 3 days , it took 4. Since they missed there guarantee they gave me one month of Amazon prime for free. You can’t watch anything so we pay for express delivery only.
Amazon should sell a reduced service in Canada and stop the lying. It is false advertising, to sell Amazon Prime in Canada and take money for it.
0 Kudos