Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lotusone
Channel Surfer

Re: Is Amazon no longer going to support the Prime Video app on certain Roku devices as of 11/1/21

Jump to solution

It may be true, but it is still pretty lame.  For many individuals their hardware is likely <4 years old, which is a pretty short product lifecycle.

0 Kudos

Re: Is Amazon no longer going to support the Prime Video app on certain Roku devices as of 11/1/21

Jump to solution

Is this incompatibility issue limited to Amazon Prime, or will other streaming channels be impacted?  Hulu?  Netflix? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: prime not working on some roku units

Jump to solution

@Annonymous2422 wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on additional streaming channels that will also be incompatible?  Hulu? Netflix?  

The older players can't run many of the newest channels. For example, Disney+, Paramount+ and HBO Max either can't be installed on the older players, or even if they can they work terrible. Netflix seems to be OK on the older ones, but you don't get the more modern user interface with them either. That's probably why the older players still work. But I can see the day coming that Netflix will drop support for the players that don't support profiles. And that's almost everything on that list that Amazon put out.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@lotusone wrote:

It may be true, but it is still pretty lame.  For many individuals their hardware is likely <4 years old, which is a pretty short product lifecycle.

Thats simply false - the newest model in the deprecated list (the 3500) is 7 years old (March 2014).

While voice monitoring is a legitimate concern, you arent required to use a voice remote (unless you get a SS+) - all the non-stick models are both IR and WiFiDirect capable and can be used with IR-only universal/Roku-preprogrammed remotes (or even the Roku Simple Remote), thus avoiding any potential abuse/mis-use of the built-in mic in Voice remotes.

Re: prime not working on some roku units

Jump to solution

Thank you!  I would imagine upgrade will be necessary in the very near future, as with all technology.  Just trying to hold out a little longer (don't fix what ain't broke)  if Amazon is the only casualty so far. 🙂

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Annonymous2422 wrote:

Is this incompatibility issue limited to Amazon Prime, or will other streaming channels be impacted?  Hulu?  Netflix? 

Its not incompatibility per se, Amazon is ending service support for the Prime app on those devices (which havent updated in years).

For older models, service providers stop providing app updates and eventually deprecate service to those models/apps entirely (again, very normal), so you should expect this to happen to other apps on those older models.

0 Kudos
lotusone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Your statement is actually false - the date a model was launched does not equal the date it was purchased in a store.

One - love. 🎾

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It doesn't matter if you bought it today or 7 years ago - it's still a 7 year old model with 7 year old technology.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lotusone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I expect more.

Pushing users to purchase new hardware before the end of it's functional lifecycle is wasteful and destroying the planet. Just because the developers don't feel like honing their skills (or more likely Amazon doesn't want to budget for it) to offer non-bloated efficiently coded versions that support a range of generations, doesn't make it right.

I as a consumer speak with my $, and if this trend continues I'll be bucking even harder against it.

lotusone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Cool man 😎 7 years, 4 years. Whatever. It still works like the day it was new.

I have an eleven year old laptop that probably runs faster than whatever you are using, and still use a 30 year old Atari STe with a Motorola 68000 processor for certain coding tasks.

Abandoning hardware in short lifecycles is just profit driven and eventually people will stop utilizing it, except for you. 

Want some more KoolAid?