Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Amazon Prime Video - Subtitles are in Dansk

Both on my Roku device and in the Amazon Prime Video app, I have not only clicked for all subtitles and closed captions to be an English.  But because that didn’t work, I clicked to have them completely turned off.  I am watching TV shows in English, which is my preferred language, and I am still getting subtitles and closed captions in Dansk.

I have also contacted Amazon Prime Video, and they weren’t able to help me.  Can anyone on here tell me if they’ve had a similar issue and how they fixed it.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Amazon Prime Video - Subtitles are in German

There are also Settings in your TV.

Find the TV remote not the Roku remote and check the Settings there.

It might well be a problem with redundant Settings.

I've had to contend with this in the past.

Also after checking your settings do Settings/System/System restart.

I'm assuming your are in the US.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, to correct, the language is Dansk.  I am in the US.  The only app that I’m having this problem in is Amazon Prime.  Every other app that I have doesn’t do this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So I have put everything on my Amazon Prime, Roku Device and TV to English.  I have turned off all closed captions and subtitles.  I reset my Roku device.  After doing that and going into Amazon Prime app - it was all reset to Dansk again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Might you be using a VPN to connect to the internet with its server located in Denmark?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Dansk???? something smells about this whole thing.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

How would I know where my VPN is located?  Or what region?

I’ve seen other forums about this.  It seems likes its something that happened after an Amazon Prime update?  I use Showtime, HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc apps and don’t have this issue.  I’ve used Amazon Prime on this Roku device before...maybe 6mo to a year ago and didn’t have this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

You can try removing the Channel

Do Settings/System/System restart

and reinstall it.

You can also go into your Prime Settings https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/settings/subtitles/ref=atv_set_subtitles

and lower the opacity and size of the fonts.

If you are using a VPN I would stop it and log out/in of Prime on your computer.

VPN's are routed through Iceland a lot so this could be the problem.

And then re-pair.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@Mystic2101 wrote:

How would I know where my VPN is located?  Or what region?.

Well, you could ask them.   Or try one of many online sites that will show you where your IP is located, like https://whatismyipaddress.com/

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime Video - Subtitles are in Dansk

The same thing is happening to me.   All subtitles in Prime and only in Prime come out in German or Dansk, not a linguist, despite what language I put it on.  I found there are two ways to change your subtitles settings while video is playing, one is by pausing the video and the other is the one I found here: Work around   Now this, in my opinion is not a solution but a work around because it temporally solves the problem but you have to do it every time you think there is subtitles, to get your subtitles in English and then you turn it off again, if you don't want subtitles all the time.  It works for me for now.

This is an old problem, when I first started in the Computer industry 33 years ago, using different parts to build one computer.  Everyone points the finger to everyone else.  This is the same problem,  you have one maker of a TV another maker of a streaming device, and another maker of a channel on that streaming device!   It get's very complicated because everyone has to interface with each other.   

I have heard people suggest it might be the TV, I don't believe it is the TV at all.  If you are using a Roku to  stream Amazon your TV is nothing but a monitor.  Also if you look at the subtitles and see that they are actually part of the video you can tell the TV is not outputting the subtitles if it was they would be an overlay on top of the video.   So it comes down to Roku and/or Amazon software.  

Unfortunately I have seen so many problems like this that have never been resolved.   Depending on how many people complain about this exact issue it might not ever be looked at seriously.      

0 Kudos