Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Amazon Prime Premier League frame rate

Hi,

I have Roku Streaming Stick 4k+, based in UK.  I pay for the 1080P service on Amazon Prime; does anyone know what the frame rate is for the new live premier league football coverage ? - My TV does 24, 50 and 60 fps at 1080P.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime Premier League frame rate

The instructions here worked for me
https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115012823268-how-do-i-change-the-display-refresh-rate-to-matc...

It's strange that this option isn't the default, or at least not somewhere more obvious. With this change the football is a lot smoother.... it is shot at 50p, and was displaying at 60p
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Appreciate the response; I had been down the route you referred to in your link some time ago.  I'm not sure that it Amazon Premier League is in fact streamed natively at 50 Hz - it's jerky in motion !

I've been here before (on this same Roku device) with NOW TV - they're now offering a subs. upgrade (to 'HD') in which Premier League Football is lifted from 25Hz to 50 Hz, and is no longer jerky.  My normal long running Amazon sub is the mid-option (SD, HD, 4K), so effectively what I'm asking is, is the Amazon HD service the one showing football at 50Hz ? ... (or 25Hz ?!?).  Although the TV does 24,50 or 60Hz when fed with 1080P, it doesn't indicate to the viewer what the frame rate is (but will tell me 24-bit or 36-bit colour when viewing 24fps blu-rays ........) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

> I'm not sure that it Amazon Premier League is in fact streamed natively at 50 Hz - it's jerky in motion !

Possibly - but it's definitely not at 60Hz (or 30Hz), so there was an improvement when it switched to 50p - and it definitely switched to 50Hz output when I started playing the match. One of the issues with streaming is that it will switch framerate/resolution based on available bandwidth. Amason almost certainly uses HLS and will have multiple profiles that it will select from. The lower the bitrate that is selected, the more likely the framerate is to be halved. I was hoping for a hidden menu on the Roku that would show me what it was streaming, but couldn't find one mentioned anywhere.

I note that Amazon Prime Direct only supports up to 30p, but then it also doesn't support 4k (https://videodirect.amazon.com/home/help?topicId=G202013390&ref_=avd_sup_G202013390)

> Although the TV does 24,50 or 60Hz when fed with 1080P, it doesn't indicate to the viewer what the frame rate is

I have to re-select my Roku as the source to get my TV to display the framerate.

Davge
0 Kudos