Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgm1024
Level 9

Re: Amazon Prime Music + Roku

Well, it's been over a year now.  Is it still the case that Amazon has omitted the Amazon Prime Music from their Amazon Music roku channel?

Nothing like having multiple ways into something.  Perhaps there's a way to get plex on my PC to magically "connect" (pick your verb) to Amazon?  I could then use plex to pipe it to my TV.

I'll be using my android devices to connect to my stereo soon enough, but this seems a silly omission on Amazon's part, unless they're trying to keep it as their Fire Stick ace in the hole, or something....
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"tgm1024" wrote:
Well, it's been over a year now.  Is it still the case that Amazon has omitted the Amazon Prime Music from their Amazon Music roku channel?

Yes. Don't expect things to change.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
dssonic
Level 7

Yeah, it's a shame that Amazon never added Prime music but it is what it is.  I don't think they've updated the channel at all since launch - it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.  I actually like it because it's much easier to find and play my music than on the slick/pretty (but slow) Fire TV channel.  If Prime music on your television is an important issue you'll have to pick up an Amazon device.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"dssonic" wrote:
it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.

I'll take functional over pretty every time. Pandora used to be fast and functional, but added bells and whistles that were purely cosmetic and slowed things down somewhat. I use Slacker as my music app anyway, it although the Roku version does lack some functions the "prettier" versions have (such as adding channels), it's still very serviceable. I just use the other versions to "program" channels, and listen on Roku. I'd rather navigate a complex menu every once in a while to add something, than do it all the time just to listen.
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
tgm1024
Level 9

"dssonic" wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame that Amazon never added Prime music but it is what it is.  I don't think they've updated the channel at all since launch - it is fast and functional but very ugly/dated-looking.  I actually like it because it's much easier to find and play my music than on the slick/pretty (but slow) Fire TV channel.  If Prime music on your television is an important issue you'll have to pick up an Amazon device.

Yeah.  And at $40 for a Fire Stick, it's not exactly expensive to do so.  Just a royal pain in the neck to have multiple interfaces to juggle, but whatever.  The real approach is to bluetooth it over from a mobile device running their app, or at least it is for me.
0 Kudos
tgm1024
Level 9

Well interestingly, Plex is taking a step away from the in-home-storage notion and blending in the cloud a little more.  They've announced a connection to Amazon Prime Music, but it's only for their top-tier customers (the monthly bull@$%).

KODI also has something for Amazon connectivity, but they have no Roku app, so you're stuck initiating a screen mirroring/casting.  Not the end of the world, but clumsy as heck.

This is a bigger deal than people realize as people are more and more transitioning over to having the TV actually being the sound center.  Audio systems are satelites to the TV, not the other way around.

I think we'll see a lot of options open up in the next year.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"tgm1024" wrote:

The options are already here. Amazon chooses to not shoot themselves in the foot by supporting competition's hardware. If the hardware is important to you, then you already have software options.

If you expect those "future options" to include all software on all hardware (or even most of both), stop expecting. There is nothing to indicate that this will happen (and past trends show it will do the opposite).
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
tgm1024
Level 9

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
"tgm1024" wrote:

The options are already here. Amazon chooses to not shoot themselves in the foot by supporting competition's hardware. If the hardware is important to you, then you already have software options.

If you expect those "future options" to include all software on all hardware (or even most of both), stop expecting. There is nothing to indicate that this will happen (and past trends show it will do the opposite).

That's unnecessarily negative:
1. Emby didn't use to have a roku app.
2. Plex didn't use to have a roku app.
3. Kodi (xmbc) didn't use to run on everything (except roku), and they do now.
4. Even DLNA wasn't universally supported once on TVs/Windows Media Server/many-things.  It now nearly is universally expected, for whatever you get with it, which isn't polished.
5. Bluetooth is getting increasingly less clumsy.

The trend has definitely been a broadening of access, not a limiting.  Amazon is trying to pull an "Apple" in this regard with their own ecosystem.  But not nearly to the same degree.
Sadly, it'll probably work.  Whatever, I've moved on.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Amazon Music has been updated to include amazon music unlimited on roku:

https://blog.roku.com/amazon-music-roku-devices[/url:12qw5m2l]

I had to remove the old amazon prime m...
0 Kudos
Joltarin
Level 7

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
Amazon Music has been updated to include amazon music unlimited on roku:

https://blog.roku.com/amazon-music-roku-devices[/url:1j3v02mu]

I had to remove the old amazon prime m...

Good news! Thanks for letting us know.
Roku Premiere+ (4630RW), Roku 3 (4200X), and Roku 2 XS (3100X) with Plex
0 Kudos