Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daan_vb
Level 7

Amazon HDR and Streaming Stick+

Hi guys,

I got a Streaming Stick+ over Christmas but I can’t get HDR working on the Amazon Prime Channel. I’ve tried Man in the High Castle and the Tick which supposedly support HDR. HDR activates on my TV with YouTube and Plex.

Is there something i’m doing wrong or is there an issue with the app?

(Also does everyone else’s Amazon’s Channel look like something from 2010, it looks awful!)
0 Kudos
37 Replies
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Amazon HDR and Streaming Stick+

"daan_vb" wrote:
Hi guys,

I got a Streaming Stick+ over Christmas but I can’t get HDR working on the Amazon Prime Channel. I’ve tried Man in the High Castle and the Tick which supposedly support HDR. HDR activates on my TV with YouTube and Plex.

Is there something i’m doing wrong or is there an issue with the app?

(Also does everyone else’s Amazon’s Channel look like something from 2010, it looks awful!)

See the following thread below on Amazon HDR issues with Roku and TCL TV's. When Amazon re-mastered their HDR content to support HDR10+ a lot of TCL Roku TV users experienced HDR content that was washed out and lacking any tone mapping. Ultimately, Amazon's resolution was to remove all HDR content from 'select' Roku devices while they investigated further. It has been over a month since this started without a resolution, other than HDR content not being accessible for some Roku devices. Could be the issue that you are experiencing. This is only for HDR10 content on Amazon VIdeo. Find Season 2 of Bosch on Amazon Video to test. It is mastered in Dolby Vision and not HDR10 and it will play as expected.
Amazon HDR10 Issue on Roku Devices
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Another possible issue is that Amazon lists their 4K media separately from the "main" listing. You have to make sure you've chosen the UHD version, as it won't provide 4K from the 1080 listing. Really stupid layout for Amazon, and yes the overall look of their UI is lacking.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Working just fine on Streaming Stick + here, watching Grand Tour.  Amazon prime has issues with HDR on many devices, including Roku (and other, like Vizio) TVs, but it's just fine on the Streaming Stick +.  I'm guessing you're on the wrong stream.
0 Kudos
adhy
Level 7

I just got a Roku Streaming Stick Plus as well and have the exact same problem. I can stream in UHD from Amazon, but no HDR. HDR works in Youtube through the Roku and HDR works through the Amazon App on Sony's horrible Android Tv. Very annoying as I thought this would consolidate everything in one neat package Smiley Sad Hope their is a fix soon as opposed to Amazon dropping HDR support. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Amazon is having issues with HDR. It appears they are converting to HDR+, which is supposed to be backwards compatible with "normal" HDR, but for some reason isn't working correctly. From what I've read, they have disabled all HDR content at the moment. This should be on any player, not just a Roku.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Amazon is having issues with HDR. It appears they are converting to HDR+, which is supposed to be backwards compatible with "normal" HDR, but for some reason isn't working correctly. From what I've read, they have disabled all HDR content at the moment. This should be on any player, not just a Roku.

Nope, just checked and definitely getting Amazon HDR10 on SS+, but not Vizio Smartcast.  The difference in color is dramatic. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"MrDifficult" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Nope, just checked and definitely getting Amazon HDR10 on SS+, but not Vizio Smartcast.  The difference in color is dramatic. 

Cool. Maybe Amazon resolved their issue at last.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
0 Kudos
daan_vb
Level 7

I have just checked again and definitely not getting HDR from the SS+ on Amazon. 

I get HDR on the Philips TV Amazon App when playing the UHD stuff listed in the OP, but not on the SS+.

To clarify, I am playing the UHD titles, not the regular ones and I do get HDR from Plex, YouTube, Netflix etc.
0 Kudos
adhy
Level 7

Just want to reiterate as well that I am not getting HDR from the Streaming Stick + but I am from my TV's native Amazon player (Sony android TV) so they have clearly not disabled HDR on all  players.
0 Kudos