Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

All channels ceased working after v9.4.0 (build 4155) update 10/01/2020 ~15:00 EDT

Following a system update on my Express+ this afternoon, all channels including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Britbox, YouTube, PBS Kids, Roku Channel no longer work. When launching any of those channels any text (subtitles, notices about YouTube ads, etc.) displays for a few minutes and then the channel exits. While the channel is active, there is no sound. With some channels, the Roku device reboots when the channel exits after being unresponsive to user input (from the remote.)

The Roku device was working fine, along with all of the named channels this morning around 7:00 AM EDT.

The Roku system software is v 9.4.0 Build 4155. The Roku systems indicates it was last updated October 1 (which is today) at 2:43 PM. I assume the date and time are relevant to my locale: EDT.

I have rebooted the Roku device several times including remove power for 5 minutes.

I have checked for Roku system software updates and the system indicates there are none available.

I have also checked each of the channels above for updates and the system indicates there are none available.

Not because it does any good but because customer support always follows a script that includes establishing a new dynamic IP and bouncing the Internet Service Providers equipment, I have also bounced (rebooted / re-set /powered down for 5 minutes and restarted) that equipment.

If the software team needs any further information to verify this problem and fix the Roku system software and allow me to download it, let me know. I assume you have access to my contact information.

29 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: All channels ceased working after v9.4.0 (build 4155) update 10/01/2020 ~15:00 EDT

FWIW, update: All video channels fail- most causing the Roku device to reboot. A streaming radio app (Soma FM) does not fail and plays streaming audio correctly.

Also- back in May of this year there was a possibly related problem that appeared to prevent the Amazon Prime app from displaying video. I recall seeing (while analyzing my internal network traffic) what appeared to be a failure to establish a TLS session with my Roku device accessing your (Roku) certificate authority.  While I thought it was only the Amazon Prime app, it did appear that the "Cipher suite" negotiation was incorrect and that appeared to be with the Roku servers. This made it appear that the Prime app was failing Several users reported the same problem with Roku devices on the AMZN forums. After a week or so  the problem went away with no admission of the problem by either Roku or AMZN CSRs. The reason it appears related is that now all video apps are malfunctioning almost exactly as the Amazon Prime did. That started on May 17, 2020 if that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: All channels ceased working after v9.4.0 (build 4455) update 10/01/2020 ~15:00 EDT

@RW-WR 

Thanks for the post.

We would first recommend trying to remove the channel(s) from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel(s) back once more. 

If you are still experiencing the issue after trying the above troubleshooting step, please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-how is your wireless network setup?
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: All channels ceased working after v9.4.0 (build 4155) update 10/01/2020 ~15:00 EDT

Right-o. Here you go:

-Roku device model = 3910RW-Roku Express+
-serial number = YG00G6063269
-device ID = C5379G063269
-software OS/version = 9.4.0 - build 4155-51

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? Yes, as previously posted, it occurs with these:

• Netflix version 5.0 build 98021401
  • Amazon Prime version 11.4 build 2020090920
  • Britbox version 3.0 build 444
  • YouTube version 1.0 build 80000314
  • PBS Kids version 3.1 build 3
  • Roku Channel version 2.0 build 42

FWIW, and also previously posted: it does not occur with Soma FM, which is an audio-only radio app. That app is version 114 build 103

if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Here's what happens:

• Launch app - unless the app automatically plays video (Pluto TV, Weathernation) then all appears to function well. You can see thumbnails, check account information and etc. While only text and static images are being displayed, the apps seem to be working correctly. For those apps that automatically play video on startup, the Roku device will no longer respond to user input.
  • Select video
  • Play video- at this point, if there is text on the screen- as when subtitles are enabled or when YouTube displays a "Skip ads" message when attempting to display a pre-roll ad, the text displays as if nothing is wrong. But no video is ever displayed.

So, when I tried the key sequence you suggested, the Roku stops (audibly) responding to user input and, after several seconds, re-boots.

After the Roku device re-booted, I entered the key sequence and got this issue ID: 69-397-069, if that helps.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@RW-WR 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@RW-WR 

Thanks for the post.

How are you connecting the Roku device to your TV? Is it through HDMI cable or through A/V cable?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It's connected with the composite cable (3.5mm jack to 3 RCA -yellow/white/red) that came with the device. It's referred to in the docs as a composite cable.

The connected television has no HDMI connector.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Danny,

I'm having the same troubles.  Cannot access ANY channel this afternoon.  All worked fine this morning.  It's not my internet connection, and I've restarted both of my ROKU devices, with no luck.

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ref4va 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing?
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-how are you connecting the device to your TV? HDMI cable or through A/V input?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I experienced this issue when the 4155 update arrived a few minutes ago. The Roku would crash and reboot without any user interaction every 2.5-3 minutes.

I've since started removing channels. After removing a few channels (Sling, etc.) I wasn't using, it will at least play Netflix.  If the issue persists/recurs I will post the information the tech team is asking for.

0 Kudos