Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asaeles
Level 7

AirPlay: The Unanswered Version

Ok I know this question has been asked before maybe a 1000 times, but I haven't still found a definite answer so here goes:

There's an app for the Amazon Fire TV stick that's called AirReceiver (I saw it work in this YouTube video https://youtu.be/aURioeXxZU8 ) that mimics the native Apple TV's AirPlay feature perfectly.

I know that Apple doesn't allow native AirPlay support on other streaming devices, but there's always third party applications to the rescue!

So my question is: Why isn't there a similar application for Roku?

I know there aren't any apps because I've searched, I'm asking why? Is it a hardware limitation, or legal, or what?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: AirPlay: The Unanswered Version

Legal. No AirPlay on devices that Apple doesn't license.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
asaeles
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:

I know, but I'm talking about 3rd party apps, is this illegal also? I mean even unofficial apps (i.e. outside of Roku Channel Store)? I can't find any!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"asaeles" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:

I know, but I'm talking about 3rd party apps, is this illegal also? I mean even unofficial apps (i.e. outside of Roku Channel Store)? I can't find any!

If Apple doesn't license it, then they would be illegally using it. And Roku has the capability of stopping non-Channel Store apps that violate any rights or ToS.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

According to this thread, there was a channel called Trimeplay that was providing at least some AirPlay functionality for a while, but it seems to have been defunct now for many years.  The creator of the channel discusses the challenges of incorporating AirPlay into the Roku BrightScript programming language.

Squirrels LLC has an app called Reflector 3 that can turn a FireTV, Windows PC, etc. into an AirPlay receiver.  It would be great if they would create a channel for Roku that would turn it into an AirPlay receiver.  With the number of Roku units out there, I'm sure they'd like to.  The only thing that's holding them back is probably there willingness to tackle the BrightScript language.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, Apple wants to promote their own player (Apple TV), so they aren't going to make any effort to support competitive players like Roku. And for a 3rd party to provide a legal channel for Roku, they would have to license it from Apple. I have my doubts that would be cost effective. Smiley Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos