Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyOC
Level 7

After pausing a live show for 10 minutes, Roku loses the stream switches to installing a new channel

When watching a live stream as opposed to a program in my library, if I pause for about 10 minutes, I lose the live stream and Roku starts to install a new channel. Using Roku +.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: After pausing a live show for 10 minutes, Roku loses the stream switches to installing a new cha

It's likely you have a Roku screensaver "with ads" (which will attempt to install channels that the advertised content is on) set as your screensaver causing the problem.

Try changing the screensaver to one without ads:  Settings/Theme/Screensaver then choose either Roku Digital Clock/Roku Analog Clock/Roku Mobile/Roku 4K Screensaver/Roku Skyline/Roku Logo Rain. 

Do NOT choose:  Roku City Stroll Movie Magic/Roku Space/Roku Western/Roku Kids/Roku Nautical/Roku Jungle as these have ads which can launch app installation when activated (often accidentally).

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: After pausing a live show for 10 minutes, Roku loses the stream switches to installing a new cha

Never use the Play/Pause button or the OK button on your remote to dismiss a screensaver.

0 Kudos
TonyOC
Level 7

So how do I dismiss a screen saver without losing the program?

0 Kudos
TonyOC
Level 7

I've changed my screensaver to the digital clock. Thanks for that piece of advice.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

@TonyOC wrote:

So how do I dismiss a screen saver without losing the program?

Any button will dismiss a screensaver, it's just that Play/Pause and OK may install an unwanted channel.  Other than that unwanted behavior, the button used just gets thrown away and then you can press Play to start the video again.

0 Kudos
TonyOC
Level 7

Thanks for that very useful info. My wife will be so happy.

0 Kudos