Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yu246630york
Level 8

“Advance TV News Beta” won't load after watching it for months

Jump to solution

I have been watching CNN on my Roku TV through a channel called "Advance TV News Beta” since July 2020. On or about October 16, 2020, when I press play on the CNN channel, it will no longer load.

In my account preferences it shows CNN is installed. Ive tried resetting my wifi account, re-powering the system, deleting and reinstall of the channel. CNN is the main channel I need and is why I purchased a ROKU TV.

My communication with Roku has been an endless email loop into cyber space. A ticket is generated by the Support Dept and nothing ever happens after that.

Do you have "Advance TV News Beta” on your TV ? Is CNN working ? How can I fix this ?

Please and thank-you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: “Advance TV News Beta” won't load after watching it for months

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about a channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
denhow
Level 9

Jump to solution

Advance TV News Beta is clearly an illegal pirate channel. CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC news, etc. for free?

The CNN section was obviously just the output from the CNN Go channel. Roku will probably remove the channel eventually. Some pirate channels may have survived in the Channel Store for a long time, but most get removed.

0 Kudos
Dundee
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very same here. Been watching CNN and MNSBC since June 2020 on Advance TV app and is why we bought our Roku TV too. In our living room.

I have done every “fix” you have tried to no avail. We are sooo upset with this.

The CNN we get on this TV is CNNGO which is just a recap of the days events- not live.

Our Roku account show the app is installed but that they do not own or run it.

I blame CNN for charging. They want about $20 a month. Not paying that for any news channel.

Fortunately we have a Mag Box in bedroom which allows over 12,000 channels, including CNN and MSNBC. That service costs $21 for 3 months.

I am now thinking of buying another MAG for the living room. 

0 Kudos
Katiemac1956
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am in the same boat with MSNBC.  That's the ONLY channel I want and I was getting it on Advance TV with a 30 minute delay.  About the middle of October, it started freezing, but I could restart it and get through my favorite commentators.  I don't think it's a ROKU thing, I think it is an Advance TV thing.  Our freebie days are probably over.  Today (10/30) I get MSNBC with no freezing but it is yesterday's shows.  Ugh.  I may just have to suck up and go back to paying for Hulu Live.  I was hoping I could get MSNBC free at least through the elections.  

Katiemac1956
Level 7

Jump to solution

What's this MAG box of which you speak?  

0 Kudos
Pouet56
Level 7

Jump to solution

You're not alone. I've been experiencing the same problem since October 2020 as well. I've never been able to watch the Fox channel either. ABC and CBSN are working fine for now though.

0 Kudos
Bits1Cats1
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have exactly same problem. Anyone have suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

We're sorry to hear of the channel woes. We don't have any information to share from our end and encourage you to follow up with the channel partner directly. 

Browse our channel store for News & Weather.

Thanks,

Austin

0 Kudos
Treehugger
Level 7

Jump to solution

I use the TuneIn app on both Roku & my laptop. You can get free audio of CNN, MSNBC & probably other news channels. Better than nothing, and news channels are largely "talking heads" anyway, Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dundee
Level 7

Jump to solution

It’s back on. CNN is playing 10 minutes behind real time. MNSBC not playing at moment 

0 Kudos