Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KHW
Level 7

Adding new channels to my list

I tried to watch Fox News and a couple of other apps BUT when I go to the URL and put in the "code" I'm asked what provider I have.  I don't have a provider.  My Roku TV is either over the air or by wifi.  I am not allowed to watch that channel because I don't have a provider to select.  Suggestions?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Adding new channels to my list

"KHW" wrote:
I tried to watch Fox News and a couple of other apps BUT when I go to the URL and put in the "code" I'm asked what provider I have.  I don't have a provider.  My Roku TV is either over the air or by wifi.  I am not allowed to watch that channel because I don't have a provider to select.  Suggestions?

Yes, some channels require you have a cable subscription to use them. They are not free.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"KHW" wrote:

There are services that offer various live streams of broadcast/cable channels, such as Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, Philo, and CenturyLink Stream. Check out the various services to see if they have the channels you want, and the cost involved. They usually offer a free trial, and you can use that period to attempt to authenticate against the service in the app. You may be able to check the app to see what of those services are available. Not every app accepts authentication from every service.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

"KHW" wrote:
I tried to watch Fox News and a couple of other apps BUT when I go to the URL and put in the "code" I'm asked what provider I have. I don't have a provider. My Roku TV is either over the air or by wifi. I am not allowed to watch that channel because I don't have a provider to select. Suggestions?

When you subscribe with a cable provider, each of the stations carried by that provider gets paid a part of your subscription price. When those stations also provide a streaming service, most of them do not provide them for free unless you can show you're already paying for their service via a cable or satellite subscription, even if their programming contains ads for which they also get paid.

There are numetous Roku apps that don't require subscriptions with other providers. Some of them you can pay to subscribe to directly (e.g Acorn). There are lots of free one not requiring a paid subscription but most of them are so loaded with unskippable ads that they are painful to watch.

There are some 'packages' you can pay to subscribe to (several mentioned earlier by Basil) that act like mini cable or satellite providers and offer groups of 'cable' stations, which is the only way you can get many of them without a cable or satellite subscription.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Pay for it.
0 Kudos