Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdmm55
Level 7

Adding new channels to Roku Ultra

I am old user of 3 Android latest Streaming Boxes in Toronto.They have all tv channels working fine.For the first time I bought a ROKU Ultra streaming Box. But there are very few TV channels in Roku to add.I want  to add those tv channels ,I have which are workibg in my Android streaming boxes.s I have android app/apk of all those in my usb stick. These channels are HD Streamz, Live NETv,Live Planet,Magic TV, Snappy Streamz,Cloud Ott and  Kodi . How can I install following private Roku channels in my Roku Ultra, Pluto Tv,PBS, Sony Crackle, the CW,

I am totally a newbie for Roku.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Adding new channels to Roku Ultra

@mdmm55 wrote:

I am old user of 3 Android latest Streaming Boxes in Toronto.They have all tv channels working fine.For the first time I bought a ROKU Ultra streaming Box. But there are very few TV channels in Roku to add.I want  to add those tv channels ,I have which are working in my Android streaming boxes.s I have android app/apk of all those in my usb stick. These channels are HD Streamz, Live NETv,Live Planet,Magic TV, Snappy Streamz, Cloud Ott and Kodi . How can I install following private Roku channels in my Roku Ultra, Pluto Tv,PBS, Sony Crackle, the CW,

I am totally a newbie for Roku.

Well, Pluto, Crackle, The CW and PBS are not private channels. At least in the US they are all listed in the channel store. But, they may or may not be available in Canada. Also, just because a channel is available in the store doesn't mean it will work in your country. The channel developer has complete control of which countries their channels will work in, and Roku cannot override those settings. You can search for available channels either on the Roku itself or on the Roku web site.

The Roku is not based on Android, so you can't install or sideload an apk. In fact there's no way at all to install a channel that isn't either available in then channel store or you have a code to add a private channel. Private channels are considered unsupported and can be removed from your Roku at any time if the provider is breaking the developer requirements or offering illegal content. 

Kodi cannot be installed on a Roku. If you are using Kodi on another device and it is configured as a DLNA server, then you can play the content from the Kodi device with the Roku Media Player. RMP will stream from any uPnP/DLNA source. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mdmm55
Level 7

Thank you very much for a good answer.Kindly help me in following questions.

Q 1-  From where can I get Codes of Private Channels(in my above post) to install in my Roku Ultra as you mention ""you have a code to add a private channel.""?? .

Q 2- I installed Google Play app in my Roku Ultra.How can I install tv channels from this installed Google Play in Roku ??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I know of no single source list of private channels. It's something you just have to search the Internet for. It's entirely possible that what you'd like to have isn't available. Sometimes you just stumble across them. But if you search for "roku private channels" you'lll likely find quite a few.

To my knowledge Google Play doesn't offer live TV. It is simply another online streaming source, plus you can purchase movies or TV shows on it, and it will also show movies you've purchased in other places. I have Google Play, Amazon, iTunes and Vudu all linked with Movies Anywhere, and everything I've ever bought online or that came with a digital code is available from all of those sources.

I have Google Play installed on my Shield and my Roku players and I don't see anything there that supports installing any sort of alternate media source. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos