Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reoel3828
Level 7

Adding a device with YouTube TV

Got a new tv and looking to add another ultra to our house. We are YouTube TV subscribers and still have the app on all of our rokus in the house. I don’t want to lose the app and have to go through YouTube if possible. If I add a new Roku as it is downloading the app will it mess up and take it off of all of my devices? If so I’ll just get a cheap onn stick until the negotiations are worked out.

thanks

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Adding a device with YouTube TV

Not quite sure I understand your YTTV question scenario, but if you already have the YTTV app on your account and register a new device, the YTTV app will download to it too.

0 Kudos
Reoel3828
Level 7

Thank you. I’ve heard if it was deleted you would have to access YouTube tv through the regular YouTube app. Just wanted to be sure that it could still be downloaded on a new device, if it was already on my old devices. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Yes, if you remove YTTV from your account (by removing it from any device), you wont be able to download it again until the end of the carriage dispute, and will have to use the YT app to access YTTV.

However, again, not sure how removing the app comes into play when adding a device to your account.

0 Kudos
Reoel3828
Level 7

I wasn’t really sure how things worked with removed apps (not on the App Store) on the setup part. I was worried that it wouldn’t be on the servers for accounts that did have it on their accounts, then when a new device was setup, it couldn’t find it and delete it on all of them. That thankfully doesn’t sound like the case. Guess it wouldn’t make much sense that they can keep the app up to date on current devices, but it was just a worry I had that didn’t seem to be asked anywhere. Thank you very much I’ll go ahead and add a new ultra to the house today. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

No, that shouldnt/doesnt happen - apps are account linked, so an app gets installed to all compatible models when you install it on one (because the app is really account linked, not specific device linked).

Same with removal - if you remove it from one, it removes it from all devices on the account (because apps are account linked, not specific device linked).

As far as app availability during carriage disputes goes - pre-existing app installs per account are "grandfathered" in, so that those already using the apps can continue to do so (technically the apps are never removed from Roku's app servers, they just cant/wont be downloaded/installed to accounts that the app wasnt already installed on - this is what allows new devices to be added to accounts and have the app installed to it, and for any app updates that occur during the dispute to be downloaded/installed as well).

Effectively, only new app installs for accounts are impacted (prevented) when it comes to app carriage disputes.  However, removals impact all account types, so be careful about removing an app during a carriage dispute (sometimes the app publishers provide a link to the private/developer version of their app to reinstall if you accidentally removed the app and if you satisfy certain verification provisions, such as with Spectrum).

0 Kudos
Reoel3828
Level 7

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I searched for this but only thought to look for YouTube. Forgot to look for this scenario with spectrum and I guess hbo max in the past. Thanks!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

... Just be sure to link the new device to your same existing Roku account as you're using now.  Should you inadvertantly create a separate account and link the Roku to it, you won't be able to get the YouTubeTV app until the dispute gets settled.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X