Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
empirefalls
Level 7

Ad 1 of 4 THE NEWSON ad 2 of 2 CHANNEL HAS ad 3 of 4 MADE SOME NEW ad 4 of 4 CHANGES.

The NEWSON CHANNEL HAS MADE SOME NEW CHANGES

Instead of 1 ad to get to the news:
Clicked on the NEWSON CHANNEL today: Instantly hit:   "AD 1 OF 4"...AD 2 OF 4...AD 3 OF 4...AD 4 OF 4
When you get to your news station, if it happens not to be on -or- doesn't load....you click to go to another news station....More ads to watch.  
So what happens? after you endure 4 ads, there is one of those common glitches and you have to reload the Newson channel, watch another 4 ads? 8 Ads to get to a newsation. Isnt that fun.

Personally, Nowadays, i am down to 5-7 channels i ever use on ROKU, NEWSON was one of the them.  I am removing NEWSON as well as I am increasing getting frustrated with streaming media entertainment. The  metamorphosis  of streaming media into satellite/cable continues.

Edit--Never thought i would be thinking this ever again. I am thinking i would be happier,free up time, and be less frustrated  just to pay $50-60 a month for satellite and the forget the every day job of monitoring and tweaking programming.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
reddice
Level 7

Re: Ad 1 of 4 THE NEWSON ad 2 of 2 CHANNEL HAS ad 3 of 4 MADE SOME NEW ad 4 of 4 CHANGES.

I don't bother with ad supported media anymore.  Every one of them start out with only one ad then before you know there are two ads then three then every time you change the station more ads.

If they offer a pay version without ads I get it and if I cancel I delete the app and I am done.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Ad 1 of 4 THE NEWSON ad 2 of 2 CHANNEL HAS ad 3 of 4 MADE SOME NEW ad 4 of 4 CHANGES.

You post about your dislike for ads just about weekly.. we get it. Ads are bad ads are bad ads are bad. Even though they make content free or cheaper for you to watch, ads are bad..

Here's an idea, if ads are so annoying, get up for two minutes and get a glass of water, or stretch, or something..

Or at least stop with the weekly rants already.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 8

Learning to ignore commercials instead of freaking out about them was one of the best media-related decisions I've ever made. Lets you have all the content without any worry. 
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

My Complaints about Ads are seemingly every week because seemingly every week, another streaming media channel goes Ad crazy. And i have one less channel in my lineup because i remove it

Why did people switch from cable/satellite to streaming media ?
1 Price
2 Ads
What is  streaming media if prices keeping going up And ad craziness keeps getting worse.

Since i posted, i checked in on NEWSON 3 times and the ad 1,2,3,4 of 4 ad barrage is gone. Maybe they were testing how many people stayed though with NEWONS before the 4th ad ended --and-- how many people clicked the channel off.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I agree that people cut the cable because of cost, but not with your belief that ads are also an issue. Except for the extra cost movie channels (HBO Showtime, etc.), virtually every channel has ads. In many cases, their ad count exceeds what I see on the free Roku channels. At least on the commercial channels the breaks for ads are in a place that doesn't break a scene apart. They aren't expecting that to change because they are now streaming media for free, at least they shouldn't expect that.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I agree that people cut the cable because of cost, but not with your belief that ads are also an issue. Except for the extra cost movie channels (HBO Showtime, etc.), virtually every channel has ads. In many cases, their ad count exceeds what I see on the free Roku channels. At least on the commercial channels the breaks for ads are in a place that doesn't break a scene apart. They aren't expecting that to change because they are now streaming media for free, at least they shouldn't expect that.

Google search  "Too Many Commercials"
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"empirefalls" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Google search  "Too Many Commercials"

Just as soon as a TV comes out with an Ad Block Plus app that works as well as the one in my browser - I'll consider going back to watching Live TV - or just about anything on Roku.

I enjoy reading your rants against advertising. 1) It saves me some time having to do it myself and 2) people with similar tastes and habits enjoy hanging out together. Like the Moose Lodge... or something...

Keep up the good work, Brother!
MOOOOO(se)...

lol
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

Why I hate ads.  If you live in the states this is why I hate them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jnn1AIt7Q
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos