Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Activation links for Discovery’s TV networks are not working ... include HGTV, Food, TLC, OWN, DIY

Jump to solution

The links have not been working for a long time now e.g. https://watch.hgtv.com/activate.
I used to watch these channels on my ROKU but these activation links have been broken for too long. The link does not successfully authenticate the code, and does not take you to the list of TV Providers. And no matter what string you type in for the activation code, e.g. RUBBISH, you still get the msg: "SUCCESS! YOU'RE READY TO GO!"

Please work with the Discovery networks to fix this issue for the DIY, TLC, Food Network and OWN channels. I think those are the ones I haven't been able to watch in the last few months. I have been using the * "Give Us Feedback" option on Roku to no avail. They were fine before something changed some months ago.

I just posted the first part of this message on the HGTV link I found on this site today, and I saw from there that they belong to the Discovery family. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Activation links for Discovery’s TV networks are not working ... include HGTV, Food, TLC, OWN, D

Jump to solution

@Kay2  Thanks for reaching out. If you are running into an issue with a channel/service provider's website, you'll want to reach out to them directly to report the issue and request additional support. Roku does not have any insight into, nor manage those mechanisms. They are handled directly by each channel provider. You can reach HGTV support here: 1-866-587-4653 or online at: https://watch.hgtv.com/general/faq

In relation to the issue you described, we would recommend trying to use a different internet browser to visit the link provided. You can also try clearing all cookies/cache/history from your current browser, then try again. I tested authenticating the HGTV channel using my own TV provider just now, and it is working as expected. This leads me to believe this could be a browser issue. Keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Activation links for Discovery’s TV networks are not working ... include HGTV, Food, TLC, OWN, D

Jump to solution

@Kay2  Thanks for reaching out. If you are running into an issue with a channel/service provider's website, you'll want to reach out to them directly to report the issue and request additional support. Roku does not have any insight into, nor manage those mechanisms. They are handled directly by each channel provider. You can reach HGTV support here: 1-866-587-4653 or online at: https://watch.hgtv.com/general/faq

In relation to the issue you described, we would recommend trying to use a different internet browser to visit the link provided. You can also try clearing all cookies/cache/history from your current browser, then try again. I tested authenticating the HGTV channel using my own TV provider just now, and it is working as expected. This leads me to believe this could be a browser issue. Keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

New Roku and I'm seeing the same, the web page says "SUCCESS! YOU'RE READY TO GO!" but it doesn't work. I never leave the activate screen on the Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, Tanner. I got the following reply from Discovery/HGTV Support and I used my phone instead of Chrome on my Acer Chromebook to successfully login. Strange, since I always used my laptop in the past, but a solution nonetheless. 

I did not turn off WiFi as Jason from Discovery suggested and also didn't want to download a new browser just to activate TV networks. My phone worked just fine as is. 

Also, clearing cookies/cache from the beginning of time didn't work either...

Hi Kay, 

Thanks for reaching out.

I just tried activating the HGTV GO app and was able to do so. Usually when the app fails to activate, the error is because you are either being automatically signed in, or it is due to the browser and/or the device you're using to activate the app. Let's see if we can get it working for you again.

It sounds like you are being automatically signed in since it is not asking you for your TV provider. Try tuning off WiFi on your smartphone and visit the activation site using cellular data. The auto sign-in is usually caused by the network your device is connected to, and using cellular data will bypass the network long enough for you to sign-in (don't forget to turn WiFi back on after you try this).

What browser are you using to try and activate the app? Many times when nothing happens after entering the activation code, it is a browser issue. So my first suggestion is to try a different browser - Firefox and Chrome tend to work best (if you're using one, try the other).

Next, what device are you using to visit the URL and activate the app? Try switching devices and see if that helps. For instance, if you're using a computer, use a smartphone or tablet.

Finally, the codes are only good for one use and they do expire. So if you try a code and it doesn't work, you will need to refresh your TV screen and grab a new code.

Let me know if this works. I will be happy to investigate further if you need me to.

Best,

Jason

Discovery, Inc. Fan Relations
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having same issues with not getting hgtv go but it’s on my Samsung TV? Won’t let me authenticate I have it in my direct tv pkg? 

0 Kudos