Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vkhome
Reel Rookie

Acorn not working

I pay an Acorn subscription every month through Roku. Just processed a payment yesterday.

Acorn has my subscription as “cancelled” but Roku has it as “active.” I can’t watch the channel.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
vkhome
Reel Rookie

Re: Acorn not working

Also, it’s worked for the last year; just stopped all of a sudden.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Not to poke holes in Roku, but this sort of problem is why I always subscribe to premium channels directly with the channels on their websites rather than through a 3rd party like Roku.

As much as I'd like to help Roku by giving them a chance to get a cut of the subscription fees, the risk of screwups gets doubled. Plus when subscribing directly with the channel you can view it on everything the channel supports (computer, mobile devices, other streamers), not just on Roku.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
vkhome
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply. My Roku account has Acorn as “active.” My Acorn says my subscription is “canceled.” I phoned Acorn and got a recording saying there have been some issues and call back another time. I called Roku and got a recording saying they are not providing any phone help during Covid.

This is very frustrating!

0 Kudos
pjminola
Reel Rookie

Re: Acorn needs rebooting every month

The problem is that an Acorn subscription is less expensive through ROKU than directly from Acorn.  The irritating thing is that every month around renewal time, Acorn tells me I don't have a subscription from them and I can't watch the shows.  After multiple months of the same problem, I've learned that I need to unsubscribe from Acorn through Roku on my computer, then delete the service on my TV, then renew my Acorn subscription through Roku on my computer, then restart ROKU [by unplugging or through settings] then choose Acorn again from the streaming channels "store"   AND then finally it works again.  BUT only for another month, when I have to go through all this again.  PLEASE ROKU, fix this!!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @pjminola

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

For clarification, around renewal time, are you making sure that you are accessing the standalone Acorn TV not the Acorn TV through The Roku Channel? The reason for this is that the subscription of Acorn TV through The Roku Channel is different from the standalone app. There might be a chance that you are getting the error that you don't have a subscription because you are opening Acorn TV through The Roku Channel.

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
pjminola
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response!  No, I am not accessing Acorn through The ROKU Channel.  Last night, for instance, in order to get it to work, I unsubscribed through my roku account.  Then I was able to delete the acorn icon in my roku feed.  Then I rebooted roku and resubscribed to acorn in my roku account.  Then I went to the streaming services section of what I think of as the roku store and added acorn back.  Then, finally, I could watch acorn TV.  I have had to do this every month about renewal time for several months now.  Can you make it stop?
Thank you for your help!
Patty
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@pjminola

Thanks for the follow up.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Acorn directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Acorn channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pjminola
Reel Rookie

I have already reached out to AcornTV directly, with several back and forth communications.  They are unable to resolve it and refer me to you, Roku, to help with the problem.  The problem arises each month when my subscription through Roku automatically renews.  The bottom line from Acorn is that I should subscribe directly with them.  However, doing that is more expensive, so I would rather stay with Roku.  Would it help if you changed my renewal date or charged my card a bit further in advance of the renewal date?  Or, isn't there some other way you can help resolve this problem?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @pjminola

We appreciate your response.

For further assistance with account and billing-related issues, please reach out to our Support team directly here. Then select 'Account, Payments & Subscription' option on the page. They are most suited to help you in this situation.

Thank you for your understanding and stay safe!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos