Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Acorn TV vs Acorn TV on the Roku Channel

What is the difference between these two? We've been accessing our free trial of Acorn TV and now paid version on "Acorn TV on the Roku Channel" and now found out we can't get to a show called Hidden and maybe can't get all of Acorn shows there?  Do I need to cancel this one and switch to Acorn directly? I don't see any way to search for shows on the version we're using but we tried scanning through all the shows and don't find this one show. I don't have any login directly on Acorn since apparently I subscribed through Roku. 

13 Replies
Level 19

Re: Acorn TV vs Acorn TV on the Roku Channel

I have 4 subscriptions: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn, and Hulu, all made directly with the respective service. This arrangement permits me to view on any and all available venues - smart tvs, streaming devices, mobile phones, tablets, etc. As soon as you get a third party involved your viewing options become limited and everything gets complicated. If problems arise inevitably each party points its finger at the other and things don't easily get resolved. The only advantage I can see to subscribing through a third party provider is the convenience of consolidated billing.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

I, too, am experiencing problems with just certain shows on Acorn TV on the Roku Channel.  I will be watching a series with closed captioning and no commercials.  Then the next time I go to watch an episode, the series has disappeared from my "continue watching" row.  Then I have to go to "Dramas" and find it again and now it has commercials and the closed captioning is gone.  What is going on here??? Very frustrating.  I am paying for what I thought was a commercial-free subscription and now I have to put up with commercials!

Can anybody help me fix this?

Level 7

I have to go to Roku, scroll down & click on “Streaming Channels”, then click on “Movies & TV”, then Click on “AcornTV”, then click on “Go to Channel”.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I, like you, am experiencing problems with Acorn and Roku, I have Roku 2, had it a long time with no real problems until I subscribed to Acorn at the beginning of the month. Had the one week free trial and was happy to carry on and accept the monthly charge on my credit card for $7.49 then I received my credit card bill and the Acorn charge was there and so was one for Roku for $9.19 for Acorn. I have spent three days emailing Roku back and forth trying to explain the problem and get some answers and finally after it was suggested that I unsubscribe from Roku which means I retain only the Acorn subscription, which I did, I got an email today confirming the subscription with them was cancelled and to say my credit card will show a credit for $9.19. I was so happy that it was over. Now tonight we can't watch Acorn, on the screen it says we have to pay a subscription with Roku. We have had Acorn before several years ago and never had this nonsense...so now I have to start all over again with them. By the way both these Roku and Acorn are connected to RLJ Entertainment which to me seems suspicious. I also stream Netflix and DAZN and only pay them not Roku.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Novagold 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend that you reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

I don't why anyone answers these things, looks like a robot to me...But anyway I have reached out through several emails, they consider the problem solved. I cancelled the subscription that they generated and they did credit my Visa with the bogus unauthorized charge but nobody will explain why Roku charges for a subscription to Acorn TV as well as my having a subscription directly to Acorn TV that I initiated. Without a subscription for Acorn TV with Roku they won't allow Acorn to stream through my Roku streaming box. They don't expect that for other programming..Netflix being one of them. They will lose customers and I might be one of them.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Novagold 

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, Roku only charges for subscriptions that are made through Roku Pay and that channel will only be available through you Roku device. However, if you purchased a subscription through the channel provider directly, you will not be billed by Roku, but you will have access to that channel content across all devices, whether or not it is Roku.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

So I signed up for a free trial with Acorn on July 30th which after the week I didn't cancel and am more than happy to be subscribed with them directly..I gave them my visa info for future payments, my bill came in and on that same visa there was also a charge by Roku RLJ Entertainment for Acorn TV on the same date July 30th. Roku did not have the details of that specific Visa before that date, where did they get that info? After many emails asking why was I being charged by Roku as well as Acorn for the same thing I was told there would be a credit on my visa, a good thing, and it was suggested that I unsubscribe from the unauthorised Roku subscription which I did, because I did not want more charges but I did confirm with them that I would still have my subscription with Acorn and the answer was yes I would. So all seems well until I went to watch Acorn through my Roku and it came up on the screen that I needed to pay for a subscription yearly or monthly to Roku to watch a channel I am already paying for, so doesn't this contradict what you are telling me? So disappointing, I would like to know why this is happening because I have had Acorn TV before and watched through my Roku streaming box and did not have to pay twice for the same thing.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Thank you for your input RokuDanny-R. I am still in the dark as how to resolve this. After yet more emails to Roku I still don't have any answer. The latest suggestion from Roku support was to contact Acorn as they are the provider of the channel but how could they be responsible for Roku not recognising my subscription with Acorn as of July 30th. The  problem when we try and watch an Acorn program, all the shows come up and you pick on one and as soon as you click onto an episode a grey background message comes up saying  "Subscription Required" and it shows the charges applicable for monthly or yearly subscription. If, as you say, I do not need to pay a subscription because I already have a subscription with Acorn how can I convince them, what is the process???? ...I have looked at it from every angle but I cannot get passed this when we try and view Acorn programming through our Roku. Please help I am losing the will!!!

0 Kudos