Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Acorn Channel - some videos won't load, can't remove and reinstall channel

Jump to solution

I am streaming through an old Roku XD2 which has been just fine for years and years.   No problems w/Netflix, Prime, Acorn until recently.

I subscribe to Acorn through my Roku account.  Subscription expires 3/21.

Past week or two, some newer videos on Acorn won't load.   In fact, while loading, Acorn actually kicked me out of the app back to the home screen. 

Most videos still do play on Acorn.  For now, It seems the problem is with those which have recently been uploaded.

Past two days I watched five episodes of the same new series uploaded w/in past couple of weeks.  Last night, when I finished E5 and clicked on E6, video wouldn't load, even though I had just finished E5.  Tried numerous times, no luck.   Even did a reboot of the Roku - no luck.

Two weeks ago I had uninstalled and reinstalled Netflix (subscribe directly through Netflix) which corrected an inability to connect.   

Fwiw, both Netflix and Acorn apps hadn't been refreshed in at least five years.

So, I figured I would uninstall Acorn channel and the reinstall would fix this video playback as well.  

However, when I press the * button, the option to "remove channel" switches to "cancel Acorn subscription' - which doesn't expire 3/21.   I am not given the option to uninstall the Acorn channel as I was on Netflix.

Do I need to cancel the Roku subscription to Acorn first?  Seems pointless, as subscription doesn't expire until 3/21.     

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Acorn Channel - some videos won't load, can't remove and reinstall channel

Jump to solution

@DianaGail 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku 2 XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

I've never subscribed to anything through Roku (or any other third party acting as an agent for the channel I wanted, for that matter),  but ...

It is my understanding that, pointless or not, when you subscribe to a premium channel through Roku, the system will not let you remove that channel until you cancel your susubscription.  

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks.   I'll give that a try and report back on the results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@DianaGail 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku 2 XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Update:   Cancelling Acorn subscription allowed me to remove the channel.   I then reinstalled the channel, but loading issues on certain videos were not corrected.  

I still can't load the last episode of one new series, a new movie, and two other new series.  

Older Acorn uploads appear to be OK.

So, the issue is sporadic with certain newer Acorn uploads.

I'm not having any trouble w/Prime or Netflix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Danny, thank you.   I sent you a PM w/serial no. and email.    As I said, this is probably an Acorn issue related to their 10/3 update.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Update:      Trial subscribed to Acorn through Amazon Prime last night - and lo and behold - all the videos I couldn't see on the Roku Acorn Channel I viewed without issue last night on Prime.

So, clearly, the issue is with Roku/Acorn channel on my older device, not Acorn.

Acorn was always very wonky and is the only channel purchased through Roku.   Sticky replay,  closed captioning misalignment on rewind, not easy to toggle between videos and Acorn home screen.   Touchy.    

Netflix is the smoothest channel with clearer video and faster response on toggling.    Prime is also a better performer, but not as good as Netflix.  Both of those are bought directly from Netflix and Prime.

0 Kudos