Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Accessing Premium Channels returns "Internet connection error"

I've had a Roku account since at least 2010, and maybe even longer ago since I used to have one of the first Roku audio devices that came out in the early 2000's. Anyway the Roku video device I was using was lost or stolen in a move in 2017. I haven't used my Roku account since then, but I just bought a Roku Express, received today, because I wanted to hook up disney+ for my daughter and my "smart" TV doesn't have disney+ as an option. I connected to my wifi router, and it immediately downloaded a software update which seemed OK. I used the "existing account" option and registered it to my account. I noticed my previous device was in my account so i deactivated that old one.

When I go to an "free" channel it works. I can watch CNN, ABC, etc, and I can watch the free kids shows. When I choose any "premium" channel such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, then I get an error that says "Internet Connection Error". and it won't go any farther.

The Roku settings page for network says it is connected and signal good, etc. no problems.

I can connect to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Hulu on my "Smart" TV and tablets on the same network without an issue. I already have paid accounts on those services and I use them. I just set up a Disney+ account but can't get roku to connect for some reason (also it doesn't connect to amazon, netflix, hulu)

So, is there something wrong with my account? It's possible somebody got ahold of my device in 2017 and did something i guess. I dunno. I can make a new Roku account, i'm not glued to it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Accessing Premium Channels returns "Internet connection error"

@waitman 

Thanks for the information.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos