Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Ability to turn off Netflix Auto Play?

Is there a way to turn off the auto play feature in the Netflix app?

For clarity: I am not asking about auto preview (home screen) or auto play between episodes. Both of those features can be turned off through Netflix website.  What I’m asking about is the “feature“ when I select a title from the home screen to read about the description, add it to my Netflix list, etc. and the first episode or movie will start playing automatically. I don’t want this. I want to take a few minutes to read first. It’s actually quite stressful that it plays - which is the opposite of what I want when I’m selecting a movie  

I checked with Netflix help and they told me that it’s a device by device “feature“, not part of the Netflix account. I am using a Roku premiere.

Please, is there anyway to turn this off?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Ability to turn off Netflix Auto Play?

@carbor wrote:

Is there a way to turn off the auto play feature in the Netflix app?

Not that I've ever found. Everyone complains about it since Netfix introduced it a couple of years ago, but Netflix couldn't care less.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I really don’t think it’s Netflix. Not only because Netflix told me it wasn’t them. And not only because I’ve turned off all their auto play features. Because if I watch Netflix on my phone or on other devices it doesn’t do it.  Just when I’m watching it on Roku

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Roku doesn't write the channel apps to run on Roku's operating system, the channel owners do.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I don't use Netflix any longer, but I thought I read that Netflix finally added the ability to disable it. Not certain if it's per device, or has to be configured on the web site. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@carbor Thanks for reaching out. Try following the steps in the solution for this topic to see if this helps clear up the issue you are seeing: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Can-t-Turn-Off-Netflix-Auto-Preview/td-p/5413...

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos