Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelpIT

Re: ATT TV Sound Dropping When Using App

Happens on all TVs with Roku streaming sticks, but does NOT happen on Apple TV or Amazon FireTV. Definitely an issue with Roku device so do not recommend purchasing as their support does not seem open to driving ATT to fix it. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: ATT TV Sound Dropping When Using App

@HelpIT

Thanks for the post.

As stated previously in this thread, for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bsirwaitis
Reel Rookie

Re: ATT TV Sound Dropping When Using App - Root Cause Found

So I also have been frustrated with the sound issues with ATT TV app for the better part of the last year - was hoping that the 10.5 OS update or DirecTV app update would solve, no luck. Only way to mitigate was to switch channels briefly, like has been noted here. 

I found this weekend what appears to be the root cause (besides the actual DirectTV app)- the ARM Cortex A53 processor. I have many (over seven) Roku devices of various models setup in my house, and this issue only occurs in the models that have this processor - the 6th, 7th, and 8th gen models (here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku). I bought a 9th gen this weekend (Ultra 4800) and it's been perfect. My earlier 5th gen units work perfectly also (MStar & Realtek processors in those)

Granted, this is still an issue DirecTV should address, but there is something in that app (memory leak?) that doesn't play nice with the ARM processor (which is truly a dog of a proc in those devices, non-ARM devices run MUCH faster and better.)

I agree, not a great mitigation solution, but at least I don't want to throw my Roku against the wall when using DirecTV streaming anymore.

jhs29er
Reel Rookie

This is a really interesting theory about the processors. I will try to swap out and see if the issue is resolved.

tragicFail
Reel Rookie

Swapping out my Ultra 4660 with a newer 4800 did make the constant audio hiccup go away when connected through HDMI to a Yamaha receiver. One point was the 4800 seemed to default to Leveling mode, which did actually mask the problem on the 4660. But after turning that off the 4800 has had no audio issues. And it did improve the codec detected by my receiver, am seeing 5:1 Surround now where the 4660 was only outputting Stereo.

Thanks for bumping the late December post, totally missed that.

0 Kudos
md40022
Channel Surfer

There seem to be quite a few topics floating on the support forum regarding problems with the audio developing an "underwater" sound or getting very distorted. I've been experiencing this on my Roku Ultra quite a bit lately. The app that I mainly use is the Xfinity Streaming App and it is defintely present there. I don't use any other apps enough to say if the problem is specific to the app or not. However, as someone who has spent 20 years in tech fields, I do have some opinions here.

First off, I have tried all the obvious stuff. Swapping HDMI cables, Trying different HDMI ports on the TV, playing with audio settings, etc. etc. etc. The problem is CLEARLY tied to the Roku device as the TV has no audio issues what so ever when streaming directly from the TV apps, using a Blu Ray player, or using a cable set top box. Rebooting the Roku device does "solve" the problem, but the problem eventually returns so it's not really solving anything - it's just band-aiding it. Others have said they can tinker with the audio settings in the Roku menu to get the problem to go away. That hasn't been the case for me, but when audio settings are adjusted, the Audio Chip / Amp IC circuit within the Roku most likely quickly resets itself as it moves from one audio mode to another. That quick reset of the audio chip when toggling between audio modes is more or less very similar to a full blown reboot of the Roku device - at least from the standpoint of troubleshooting audio problems. None of these fixes are actual fixes. They are just workarounds and inconveniences for the customer. I think the clear problem is a subpar audio amp within the Roku device. It's a hardware problem. Roku won't admit to this as the problem, but given the nature of what happens when you toggle audio settings (quickly resetting the audio IC) or when you reboot the entire Roku device (also resetting the audio IC, a bit more thoroughly) - this is a hardware problem. Is the audio chip overheating? Is it not properly processing the audio format of streaming apps? Who knows - but none the less, it is a HARDWARE PROBLEM. Unfortunately, Roku won't admit to this as they'd potentially be on the hook for an actual fix at that point, but the conclusion to be drawn here is there isn't an actual "fix" to this. Just work-arounds. And I'd urge everyone to keep that in mine when it's time to replace your Roku devices. Does fire-stick have this same problem? If not, maybe that's the direction to go.