Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TV101
Level 7

AMC app is crashing when playing commercials

I have a #TCL TV with #ROKU. The AMC app that was recently installed, is constantly (by not consistently) crashing when a commercial is playing. It has not crashed during a show or movie, and not every time a commercial will play. However, it will happen at least once during a show, and often multiple times. It also is not right away when the commercial starts playing. I've noticed that the sound will cut out and within a few seconds, the commercial will stop, and then the TV will reboot. I have no idea what could be causing this, or even how to resolve it. It is annoying since it happens so oft

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
6 Replies
slou117
Level 7

Re: AMC app is crashing when playing commercials

Same thing is happening to me. Toshiba TV with latest Roku Express. Tried deleting and reinstalling app and even resetting Roku to factory defaults. Nothing works. Couldn't finish streaming the latest episode of Fear the Walking Dead because the app kept crashing.

Steve2424
Level 7

It’s not your Roku. We were trying to watch “Planes Trains and Automobiles” this morning on our Apple TV, and it would crash every time there was a commercial break. It was so frustrating that I had to quit watching it. 

0 Kudos
swarmofbees
Level 7

Same thing for me. AMC on a TCL Roku. Seems to be only specific ads because I see ones that will consistently crash the app, but others are no bother. Super frustrating. Probably AMCs terrible ad provider.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TV101
Level 7

Yeah, I tried that. A few times. It didn’t work. It’s clearly some interactivity in the ads since it happens with some very specific ads. Annoying and frustrating.

swarmofbees
Level 7

This did not work for me either. The bad ads will play for about less than a second then crash the app. I didn't seem to get many yesterday afternoon, but once about 10pm Pacific hit there was one that I couldn't move past. Same thing this morning, some **bleep** cybersecurity ad from WGU, crashes every time and comes up every time I try to play an episode. Incredibly annoying.

0 Kudos