Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judalon
Level 7

AFTER CUTTING THE CORD -VIEWING FREE CHANNELS ASKING FOR PROVIDER

I cut the cord so as NOT to pay comcast to watch TV. Now I run into channels ie. The History Channel which indicates it is free then in order to watch shows it asks you to enter YOUR TV PROVIDER. So, how do we get around this? If no getting around it then why have ROKU? Why not just stick with the TV provider you cut the cord with?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
Strega
Level 15

Re: AFTER CUTTING THE CORD -VIEWING FREE CHANNELS ASKING FOR PROVIDER

Cords often include content, which is why they cost money (besides the installation and maintenance of the cord.)

There are thousands of channels on Roku.  Some are "cable channels" that are available for use in alternate situations.  Some like Netflix and Amazon are premium channels that you pay directly.  Some are completely free (usually advertising supported, sometimes donation supported).  Some content providers have multiple ways of letting you pay.  For example, with something like HBO, you might be able to use your cable company provider or pay them directly if you don't have a cable company.

There are also things like slingTV which are kind of a virtual cable subscription. 

I would guess that many if not most Roku owners do in fact have cable or satellite TV and use the Roku to add things like Netflix and Amazon. 

0 Kudos