Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miami_Son
Level 7

A positive post just to mix things up

I bought a Roku Express back in May and started trying out the different streaming services in hopes of being able to ditch DirecTV. Wasn't really happy with the big names like Hulu (crappy PQ, lots of buffering), SlingTV (have to get both packages to get all channels we wanted), YouTubeTV (same problem) and none of them had decent interfaces, especially their guides. Then I tried PlayStation Vue. Picture is excellent, DVR is very serviceable and their guide is the closest to cable or DTV as far as functionality, and one package gave us everything and more that we wanted as far as channels for only $50 a month. With the $50 a month we pay Comcast for fast internet and using our own cable modem we have slashed our TV costs to about $63 including our Netflix streaming. I don't count Amazon Prime in our costs because that's a freebie we get for having Prime, which we would have regardless because we use that for our business. That beats the over $150 we were spending a month on All Thieves and Tricksters (AT$T) just for DirecTV. We get local channels from the antenna I mounted in the attic and I have a dedicated Windows Media Center PC with 4 digital tuners setup in my office with 2 extenders on wired ethernet for DVR playback of major and local network programming. The antenna signal is rock-solid and much cleaner than the overly-compressed signal DTV sends out. Doesn't go away when it rains, either. We now have 5 Roku devices and everything has been working flawlessly for over a month, so today I canceled the DirecTV. It felt so good.  Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
6 Replies
optikhog
Level 7

Re: A positive post just to mix things up

Excellent idea.  We jumped on board with Roku several years ago and finally went about replacing our Roku 3 units (which we never had issues with but wanted the new remotes) with the latest generation of Stick units and still have zero issues.

That being said, we do have the occasional problem with the Spectrum app, but that is the fault of Charter, not Roku.  The entire family fully understands that apps are controlled and curated by their authors, which seems incredibly obvious.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

We did the same thing about 4 years ago, getting rid of Dish Network. We decided we just didn't need all those channels we never watched. We get good OTA signal from the Seattle stations, use Netflix and Amazon (I agree that Amazon is no cost, because we had Prime even before they offered streaming), and I took one of my home PCs and added a punch of hard drives and have ripped all of our DVDs and Blu Rays. We watch them with our Smart TVs, Roku players, Blu Ray players, etc. Dish was costing us close to $200 per month (although I admit their current equivalent service would be more like $120), and now we pay Netflix $12 monthly. Paid for the hard drives very quickly, and we don't miss a single channel we had with Dish. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 7

I've been getting Netflix Blu-Ray discs and converting them losslessly to MKV format and playing them through a networked Western Digital Live Hub (a device that was ahead of its time and now discontinued, sadly). Would have loved to use an Ultra for this, but, as you know, it does not support HD audio formats or passthrough. The Live Hub handles high video bitrates without choking and supports all audio passthrough and lets my Onkyo receiver do the work. I stopped getting discs a few weeks ago only because we have a huge backlog of movies I transferred, but have not yet watched. When we catch up I will get back on the DVD program.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Miami Son" wrote:
I've been getting Netflix Blu-Ray discs and converting them losslessly to MKV format and playing them through a networked Western Digital Live Hub (a device that was ahead of its time and now discontinued, sadly). Would have loved to use an Ultra for this, but, as you know, it does not support HD audio formats or passthrough. The Live Hub handles high video bitrates without choking and supports all audio passthrough and lets my Onkyo receiver do the work. I stopped getting discs a few weeks ago only because we have a huge backlog of movies I transferred, but have not yet watched. When we catch up I will get back on the DVD program.

My Ultra is just fine for playing my BD and UHD rips, but as you note it doesn't support the lossless audio formats. However, it does pass the lossy DTS core of a DTS-MA track, so that doesn't have to be transcoded. But I also have a few BD rips that have VC-1 video, which Roku also doesn't support. So those need transcoding as well. That's where my Nvidia Shield comes in, since it plays everything, including TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X tracks. But I still have Roku players and TVs in my other viewing locations. The Shield is way overkill for most of my rooms.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 7

I thought about getting a Shield to replace the Live Hub should it ever go tits up, but a bit too pricey right now. Would be nice if Roku would put ALL audio pass-through into the Ultra so I can make my system all Roku (would be easier on the non-techie wife to only have one interface to remember). Maybe they will finally get it...someday. LOL
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I agree. I only got a Shield because of Prime Day. Otherwise it's too expensive at $179. If Roku would build a premium player with better video/audio codec support, and also support DVD and Blu Ray caption formats, I would be more than happy to stick with Roku. I believe they could do it and keep the price no higher than I paid for my Shield ($139). I would gladly pay that for such a player. 
Dan
0 Kudos