Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stoodebaker
Level 7

A Quick Media Player File Format Question

I just started using the media player with my Express. I am having a constant buffering issue but only with .mp4 and .mkv files. Any movies in the .avi format play without a hitch. Before I contemplate converting multiple files I just wondered if there is a fix for this.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: A Quick Media Player File Format Question

How are you playing these files? Are you using a DLNA server across your network? If so, which one? Roku players do not support the AVI container, so they require transcoding, which a DLNA server would do. Your MP4 and MKV files might have different audio and video codecs. Again, Roku only supports a limited number of codecs, so more information is needed to help you troubleshoot. And how is your Express connected to your network? I realize it's wireless, but do you know if you are using 2.4 GHz or 5?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos