Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

9.3.0 build 4143-17 almost breaks YouTubeTV

Got the latest OS update last night, immediately noticed that YouTubeTV, that has performed close to flawlessly for the last 6 months under 9.2.0, particularly with heavy use of their unlimited dvr functions, is stalling and failing to load both live and dvr'd programs, in particular scanning forward of dvr programs.  I've left the unit stalled on trying to load both live and dvr programs for several minutes waiting for the unit to respond; I eventually have to exit and reenter the app and try again.  

This never happend under the older os.  It will take some time to review my other main apps, netflix/hulu/prime at least.  I will also check my ultra out when it gets updated.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: 9.3.0 build 4143-17 almost breaks YouTubeTV

@Beck38 

Thanks for the information.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-device serial number (found in Settings>System>About)
-can you provide example of the content that you are trying to watch? Does this issue happen on "Free with Ads" movies or purchased content?
-channel version build (found by selecting the channel in your home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when you see this issue (press Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times)

With that information, we will be able to look further into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Youtubetv app vr. 1.0 build 80000014

Roku 4400x #YY00EGW24351

While running youtubetv live and dvr content subscribed content

Tracker 51-184-109. In almost all cases as soon as the home button is initially pressed the app exits and then no number comes up, but trying this multiple times did yield the number above.  Appears to me that when the youtubetv app stalls (changing channels or changing from channel to dvr or dvr to dvr) that hdmi link to tv (which is direct to one of 4 hdmi ports) 'winks' and the roku looses hdmi 'lock' and the roku stalls out forever (tested for over 15min several times).  Got worse some 6 hours ago, has gotten better at the time of this post.  Have only had to exit the app once in the last hour due to stalling.  Haven't seen any major problems with netflix/hulu/prime but will do more checking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Beck38 - Have you tried deleting & then re-adding the YouTube TV app to see if that clears up the issue?

No doubt problems with 9.3.0 with network connections as well as YTTV as I had immediate issues with YTTV after the update but after rolling back to 9.2.0 all my issues were resolved.  Had the same issues with 2 Streaming Stick+ and in both cases they cleared when rolling back the software.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Must be something specific with the youtube apps in general, as there are 'effects' happening with youtube as well as youtubetv, just not as bad but then again no 'live' or dvr streams, just stored, but most freeze up for some 10+ seconds when starting to play, and tends to skip as well which is wierd.  All the other apps I have including nf/hulu/prime/disney, as well as pluto and locast, are working without any probs.  

Unfortunately, they have apparently locked out rolling back so I have to live with what I have.  It has gotten better over the last 8+ hours but it could get as bad as it was 12 hours ago, which was really bad.  After spending almost 50 years as a software development manager I didn't think my opinion of s/w coders could get any lower, but just in the last week this and another company has shown me that the temp of some of these folks brain power is rapidly approaching absolute zero, and I haven't brought up either Microsoft or samsung yet.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

This mornings operation is night and day from 24hours who, it's down to a bit of a wobble that can be either/or with youtubetv; exercised it quite a bit and couldn't get any freezes or stalls.  Of course unknown as to whether roku or youtubetv made minor changes, as they can do so without actually rolling out s/w versions. 

But youtube is still stalling on most clips right at the beginning for some 10sec, so I'll bet it's still skipping on others as I play some more.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

With a good 5+ hours on youtube/youtubetv, in changing channels and otherwise yanking things around, did replicate the 'winking' of the hdmi that causes my roku4 to lose lock with my tv's and in seems the quickest way back is to reload the channel I'm on.  I'm wondering if that's what is going on with the stalling on youtube; have the programmers tightened up the hdmi 'lock' so tight that maybe just a slight wobble in the streaming link causes the hdmi to disconnect with the display.  If/when my ultra gets this new 9.3.0 as it's connected through a reciever which has a monitor on the hdmi inputs so I may be able to catch the roku 'winking' the hdmi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Youtube TV

I am also having issues with Youtube TV since the latest update (9.3 bld 4143). Inside the app on the "home" tab I usually go to CNBC and I just get the "loading..." Sometimes I get "loading..." a black screen like its about to load then "loading..." again. 

I noticed in the live tv section it does the same thing. Not every chance it seem sporadic. Usually if I pick a channel that does show this issue. I hit the back arrow, try a different channel (usually works) then go back to the channel with the issue and it loads no problem. 

-Connection is hardwired.
- 4400x - Roku 4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

'Sporadic' is a good term with this.  Have you run into the 'mini-stalls' on youtube?  The clips barely start (you get a tenth of a second audio/video spurt) then a good 10sec freeze before the clip starts playing.  Maybe around one third to one half of the selected clips, I've been trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason as to the ones that do stall and those that don't, but so far can't come up with any.  

But the yttv stalls continue, I own three roku4's and they are all now on 9.3.0 and all act the same bad way.  My one ultra is still on 9.2.0 and has no problems on either yttv or YouTube.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Now yttv is doing the same "spurt start" as you tube, the tenth of a second followed by 10sec stall then playing, in about half the times in doesn't stall completely.  

0 Kudos