Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

9.3.0 build 4132-04 on R3 breaks iPlayer

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is really a bug report, but I can’t find anywhere to submit it. I’ve submitted one to the BBC, but given the timing, it seems highly likely that the problem is due to changes Roku have made in their latest update.

Can anyone help?

iPlayer version: 3.4 build 91000073
Roku model: 4200X Roku 3

Roku firmware: 9.3.0 build 4132-04

Last Roku firmware update: 7.03pm Wed 22 April 2020

Date problem first seen: 23 April 2020. iPlayer was working prior on 21 April 2020.

On clicking on iPlayer, the screen goes blank. After around 15 seconds the Roku box reboots. No error messages.

Same happens with BBC News and BBC Sport.

I’ve deleted iPlayer, rebooted Roku and reinstalled iPlayer - no change.

I’ve tried the Roku both wired and wireless.

There are no newer firmware versions to download.

Apps that are NOT affected include: ITV, CH4, Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube.

iPlayer works on iPhone and Humax Freesat box on our network.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: 9.3.0 build 4132-04 on R3 breaks iPlayer

Jump to solution
Hi D,

Just fixed it today!

Two things have changed. First, we got a firmware update yesterday, but that on its own didn’t fix it, so today I did a factory reset, and now it's working Smiley Happy

I expect the reset would have done it, but I’ve seen so many similar problems where a reset was suggested but didn’t work, that I didn’t want to go through the pain if a simple firmware upgrade would do it.

To be fair, Roku make the reset easy: they automatically load the channels you had before the reset. But you do have to log in to all your apps.

Anyway, worth it to have it working Smiley Happy

Hope it works for you!

Best,

Trevor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Trevor, 

Just wondering if you've had any joy with this issue?!

I'm encountering exactly the same problem and have had no success. 

Best, 

D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was able to rollback a 9.3.x 28 Apr Roku update by going to secret screen (press Home 5x, fast forward 3x, rewind 2x.) Went to "update software" and clicked. It seems to have rolled back the software to one with a build date of 15/11/2019. And then when I went back to home screen, clicking on iplayer opened the channel and stopped  resetting the device. (I also uninstalled and reinstalled channel but don't know if that was necessary.)

However, before I did this AND after, still not able to play any ITV or Channel 4 content, in spite of reinstalling channels. Anyone have a fix for that?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Hi D,

Just fixed it today!

Two things have changed. First, we got a firmware update yesterday, but that on its own didn’t fix it, so today I did a factory reset, and now it's working Smiley Happy

I expect the reset would have done it, but I’ve seen so many similar problems where a reset was suggested but didn’t work, that I didn’t want to go through the pain if a simple firmware upgrade would do it.

To be fair, Roku make the reset easy: they automatically load the channels you had before the reset. But you do have to log in to all your apps.

Anyway, worth it to have it working Smiley Happy

Hope it works for you!

Best,

Trevor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Cant thankyou enough. Secret screen hack worked after an unsuccessful factory reset where choosing bbc still kept switching my device off. I have roku1. I had to wait nervously for bbc to load, it got stuck at 100 per cdnt initially but when i tried it again it just asked me to confirm code to watch bbc on device (bbc criteria not roku) and bingo! Ive got it. It also seems to have solved the issue ive been living with for months where it used to stop and start the beginning of bbc program 3 or 4 times. Just hope no further update issues now, at least til after lockdown! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thankyou, that sorted mine.

0 Kudos