Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSL1
Level 7

5.1 Surround Sound on streaming services

I have a roku hdmi stick and a sonos playbase connected to a Sony tv,
playbase is connected to the hdmi ARC connector. I am not able to get
surround sound when using tHe streaming services on the Roku. I have a
Panasonic DVD player connected and that plays 5.1 SS as does broadcast TV
when it is broadcast in 5.1. I can’t seem to get Netflix or Amazon Prime to
play 5.1 SS it will only play stereo.

I have the audio settings
Audio mode ( Auto (Dolby D))
HDMI ( Auto Detect)

I have tried the HDMI in Dolby D as well....

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound on streaming services

I don't own a Sony TV, but some TV brands will not send 5.1 audio out from an external device. They send 5.1 from their internal sources (broadcast or any Smart TV functions), but anything connected to it by HDMI is only sent out as 2 channel.  I can't say if yours is one, but it's possible. Since your BD player will output 5.1, perhaps this isn't it, or perhaps it only works with specific HDMI ports. Try your Stick in the same HDMI port that the BD player is working in, just to eliminate that possible issue. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

There are not many streaming services for the Roku that stream with DD5.1. For example both Netflix and Amazon Prime stream in DD+ and AAC stereo. Since the Sony doesn't advertise supporting DD+, the Roku picks the AAC stereo stream.
0 Kudos
GKwap
Level 7

I just purchased the Ultra and a separate stick plus.  I was hoping to use Hulu +live Tv as my new cord cutting solution but wanted to be able to stream movies and content and get Dolby surround sound.   I do not have the latest AVR so it does not have HDMI connections. Will I be able to run the roku into my blue ray and use optical output to the DVR get this to work?

second question: Is there a streaming service that works better with Roku for Surround sound than Hulu+live tv?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@GKwap wrote:

I just purchased the Ultra and a separate stick plus.  I was hoping to use Hulu +live Tv as my new cord cutting solution but wanted to be able to stream movies and content and get Dolby surround sound.   I do not have the latest AVR so it does not have HDMI connections. Will I be able to run the roku into my blue ray and use optical output to the DVR get this to work?

second question: Is there a streaming service that works better with Roku for Surround sound than Hulu+live tv?

Almost all streaming services are now using Dolby Digital+ as the audio codec. If your AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs, odds are it doesn't support DD+ either. You can connect your Roku directly to your TV, but not all TVs will output 5.1 from an external device. Some TVs that will require a certain setting to be enabled. But since your AVR doesn't support DD+, there's only one way to get 5.1 audio from your Roku. That would require the TV to convert the DD+ to standard DD and send it out to the AVR. Again, not many do. Most likely 2 channel PCM is all you'll get for audio. My only other suggestion is to replace your AVR with one that has HDMI ports and supports DD+. You can probably find one for under $200, it's that's within your budget. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
GKwap
Level 7

Thanks.   I have a Panasonic blue ray player that has HDMI and it also says that it is Dolby D and Dolby D+ Dolby trueHD.  The issue is that the hmdi are both out not in so I assume that will not work.

I looked at my TV which is a Panasonic Tc-p65vt30 plasma and in the audio section it says that the optical audio out you can enjoy DD5.1.  What I did not understand is that it says that a ATSC channel that the digital audio out will be DD.   When the NTSC channel it will be PCM.  If my research is correct that anything  that I would stream would be ATSC and therefore I could get DD and therefore surround sound out of that Tv. agreed?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I looked at my TV which is a Panasonic Tc-p65vt30 plasma and in the audio section it says that the optical audio out you can enjoy DD5.1.  What I did not understand is that it says that a ATSC channel that the digital audio out will be DD.   When the NTSC channel it will be PCM.  If my research is correct that anything  that I would stream would be ATSC and therefore I could get DD and therefore surround sound out of that Tv. agreed?

I just replaced my Panasonic ST30, which was the same era as your VT30. From what I remember in the settings, You might need to change a setting in the Audio menu to get 5.1 out the optical. I used optical on mine, but all my devices were routed through the AVR so never tried getting audio out of the TV other than OTA sound. 

Dan
0 Kudos