Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSL1
Level 7

5.1 Surround Sound on streaming services

I have a roku hdmi stick and a sonos playbase connected to a Sony tv,
playbase is connected to the hdmi ARC connector. I am not able to get
surround sound when using tHe streaming services on the Roku. I have a
Panasonic DVD player connected and that plays 5.1 SS as does broadcast TV
when it is broadcast in 5.1. I can’t seem to get Netflix or Amazon Prime to
play 5.1 SS it will only play stereo.

I have the audio settings
Audio mode ( Auto (Dolby D))
HDMI ( Auto Detect)

I have tried the HDMI in Dolby D as well....

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound on streaming services

I don't own a Sony TV, but some TV brands will not send 5.1 audio out from an external device. They send 5.1 from their internal sources (broadcast or any Smart TV functions), but anything connected to it by HDMI is only sent out as 2 channel.  I can't say if yours is one, but it's possible. Since your BD player will output 5.1, perhaps this isn't it, or perhaps it only works with specific HDMI ports. Try your Stick in the same HDMI port that the BD player is working in, just to eliminate that possible issue. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound on streaming services

There are not many streaming services for the Roku that stream with DD5.1. For example both Netflix and Amazon Prime stream in DD+ and AAC stereo. Since the Sony doesn't advertise supporting DD+, the Roku picks the AAC stereo stream.
0 Kudos