Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

@jasonwc wrote:

Can anyone confirm what devices will still change refresh rate for Netflix and support 4K HDR HEVC playback? I would assume both the Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield would work.

To my understanding it doesn't work on anything. With the Shield I think you can add a plugin to Kodi that supports it, but there's been a lot of griping on those forums as well. Can't speak to the ATV. And I dropped Netflix completely, so can't test it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

How about as a compromise they simply add 24Hz display modes to the settings?  They allow you to select 4K@30Hz display modes but nothing for 24Hz.  This would at least allow you to lock in the screen to always run at 24Hz which would be okay for 99% of Netflix content.  UI and other elements would also be stuck at this low refresh rate but since we spend 99% of our time actually watching content and not menus, I would be okay with that.  Of course the best option would be to hide the old dynamic frame rate switching feature behind some hidden menu for those who prefer to watch everything at the correct frame rate and don't mind if the screen blanks out during refresh rate changes.

I guess they could also do the Nvidia Shield solution where you have to press a quick toggle button after video starts playing to switch the refresh rate.  This way you navigate the menus and trailers at 60Hz but then switch to the proper 23.976 refresh once you begin to watch full screen video.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

PC streaming Netflix is junk, Kodi plugin is low quality and the Firestick doesn't frame rate switch. The ONLY reason I bought a Roku is because of this feature and now it's removed....nice. Honestly the most reliable way to watch stupid streaming services at this point, is piracy.

How does disabling frame rate switching for ONE app make any sense? The people complaining should just turn off this feature all together, since they won't seem to care.

Please add this feature back.....makes my Roku useless now. Netflix is a darn jittery mess in 60 Hz! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Glad I saw this post, I was just about to buy a Roku Ultra!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Why is this the intended behavior, what is the reasoning?  I just bought another Roku Ultra but I'm likely to return it if this functionality doesn't get restored.  

@RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@ElCapitan wrote:

Why is this the intended behavior, what is the reasoning?  I just bought another Roku Ultra but I'm likely to return it if this functionality doesn't get restored.  

@RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Just a guess, but the reasoning is likely because the old Roku forum was filled with complaints about the screen blanking out every time the Netflix app started playing a preview video, even though the user was only on the selection screen. The only way Roku could resolve it was to disable framerate matching. If Netflix would listen to so many of their customers and disable the auto-play function, or at least give the user the ability to disable it, then everyone would have been happy. While Roku made the decision to disable auto-play, it's Netflix's stubbornness that caused the problem. One of many reasons I completely dropped Netflix about 6 months ago. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Everytime we get another update I try and see if this has been fixed but nope.

Netflix movies really do look so much better at their designed 24fps rate.

The best fix I have heard (if they would do it) is for Netflix to enable or disable auto previews which so many hate anyways and then Roku re=enable auto frame switching in Netflix. It would solve the issue for everyone... well almost. The only people that could still gripe is people who like the auto previews in Netflix and like the auto refresh rate change on Roku.

I would definately turn off auto previews in Netflix and turn on auto refresh rate on Roku.

4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

I have to leave the framerate matching off anyway, because for some reason all my DVD rips have a mild stutter to the video playback with it on. Turn it off and playback is smooth. I don't think it's an MPEG-2 issue, as I believe it did it as well with some recorded TV that I encoded to H.264. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sadly I bought an Apple TV4k to get around this issue. I would rather support Roku, but I gotta have my 24p, sorry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Lets see if CNet, The Verge, Audioholics, etc will keep recommending Roku players knowing about this issue. I for one would not buy 2 Rokus if I knew about this horrendous issue a few months ago.

0 Kudos