Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave999z
Level 9

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

@Pramodreddi wrote:

Use TVHZ app ....  Download apk from browser and install...

Set to 50hz or below &

Enjoy .....

How does that relate to Roku?

wxman2001
Level 8

Jump to solution

It is ridiculous that Netflix and Roku won't get together to allow match frame rate. If Apple can do it with their ATV4K box with the Netflix app, there is no reason why Netflix won't do that on the Roku. A new Roku Ultra is coming out in October that will also have Dolby Vision HDR for the first time. If I cant stream at the native frame rate via Netflix or any other app, I will not be buying. There should be no reason whatsoever that there cant be a match frame rate choice similar to what Apple does. 

sergesret
Level 7

Jump to solution

I got the 2020 Ultra the weekend it came out and didn't notice a problem with netflix until I upgraded to the 4K plan (I've just recently bought a UHD system after my HD panel bit the dust). We were watching The Queen's Gambit last night and there were periodic stutters. Haven't seen the problem on Disney+ (The Mandalorian player perfectly. We re-watched Season 1 and the Season 2 opener).  Haven't seen the problem on Amazon either though we haven't watched much on that channel yet in 4K on the new Roku. Never saw this issue running HD. Going to experiment to see what I can do about it or if I have to resort to using the Android app on the Sony panel or *gag* turn on the Motionflow and see what happens with that. But I just wanted to report the new Ultra seems plagued by this same issue. Otherwise, in general the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision work fine.

Tags (3)
DXPUNK
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just bought the newly released Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) after learning that it supported Dolby Vision. I have an LG E8 OLED, which has a limited library of apps and especially so compared to Roku, so I'd been switching back and forth between LG and Roku depending on what I was watching to utilize Dolby Vision through native LG apps where possible. I was excited to finally have a seamless viewing experience through Roku, now that it supports Dolby Vision, but come to find out it can't even output video at the native 24p in Netflix - the video stutters so often and can be unbearable to watch. So disappointed in this product and regretting my decision to upgrade on Roku Ultra 4660x. Was hopeful that this might be resolved soon and I could avoid returning this for an Apple TV 4K but reading through this forum, seems like this has been a known issue for some time and Roku has failed to correct. C'mon Roku, figure it out...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

Jump to solution
@DXPUNK wrote:

Just bought the newly released Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) after learning that it supported Dolby Vision. I have an LG E8 OLED, which has a limited library of apps and especially so compared to Roku, so I'd been switching back and forth between LG and Roku depending on what I was watching to utilize Dolby Vision through native LG apps where possible. I was excited to finally have a seamless viewing experience through Roku, now that it supports Dolby Vision, but come to find out it can't even output video at the native 24p in Netflix - the video stutters so often and can be unbearable to watch. So disappointed in this product and regretting my decision to upgrade on Roku Ultra 4660x. Was hopeful that this might be resolved soon and I could avoid returning this for an Apple TV 4K but reading through this forum, seems like this has been a known issue for some time and Roku has failed to correct. C'mon Roku, figure it out...

This "stutter" could be an artifact of LG's (buggy/variable) "Real Cinema" implementation - try enabling "TruMotion" and setting it to "User" with De-Judder=0 and De-Blur=0 (especially in DV/HDR modes but really for any/all modes where RealCinema cant be disabled).

Effectively by enabling TruMotion it forces RealCinema off (especially for non-configurable modes like DV/HDR where RealCinema is enabled non-configurable by default), and with TruMotion set to 0 for both, its also disabled.

(This works for my C7, especially with 60Hz locked NetFlix - To test it, try The Queens Gambit E1 from 2:50 to 3:40 with the slight zooming followed by right to left panning)

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@DXPUNK wrote:

It's not a bug, it's intentional. Users complained loudly because of the auto-playing of the background videos on Netflix, and that was causing constant screen refresh rate changes, which was extremely annoying. The display was constantly changing framerate, which caused the screen to continually blank then return. Since Netflix (at the time) refused to allow disabling those background playbacks, Roku simply turned off framerate matching for Netflix. It was the lesser of two evils at the time. However, now that Netflix (finally) allows disabling the auto-play, they should turn framerate matching back on. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
wizziwig
Level 8

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

It's not a bug, it's intentional. Users complained loudly because of the auto-playing of the background videos on Netflix, and that was causing constant screen refresh rate changes, which was extremely annoying. The display was constantly changing framerate, which caused the screen to continually blank then return. Since Netflix (at the time) refused to allow disabling those background playbacks, Roku simply turned off framerate matching for Netflix. It was the lesser of two evils at the time. However, now that Netflix (finally) allows disabling the auto-play, they should turn framerate matching back on. 

If that was the reason, why not just tell those users to disable frame rate matching on their Roku settings?  Frame-rate matching was off by default so everyone using it knew exactly the pros/cons of turning it on.  Nobody was forcing them to use the feature if they didn't like it.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

Jump to solution

@wizziwig wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

If that was the reason, why not just tell those users to disable frame rate matching on their Roku settings?  Frame-rate matching was off by default so everyone using it knew exactly the pros/cons of turning it on.  Nobody was forcing them to use the feature if they didn't like it.

Clearly Roku/NetFlix know better what we want and how we want it, and decided for us.

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

Clearly Roku/NetFlix know better what we want and how we want it, and decided for us.

Yep, pretty much. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DXPUNK
Level 8

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:
@DXPUNK wrote:

This "stutter" could be an artifact of LG's (buggy/variable) "Real Cinema" implementation - try enabling "TruMotion" and setting it to "User" with De-Judder=0 and De-Blur=0 (especially in DV/HDR modes but really for any/all modes where RealCinema cant be disabled).

Effectively by enabling TruMotion it forces RealCinema off (especially for non-configurable modes like DV/HDR where RealCinema is enabled non-configurable by default), and with TruMotion set to 0 for both, its also disabled.

(This works for my C7, especially with 60Hz locked NetFlix - To test it, try The Queens Gambit E1 from 2:50 to 3:40 with the slight zooming followed by right to left panning)

Thank you for the suggestion, I have not tried this yet but will give it a go

0 Kudos