Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarneyF
Level 12

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

Ya, 25p (UK, most European and Worldwide content) is unwatchable on any channel on my Roku 4 Ultra - with or without framerate matching. 25p doesn't trigger any framerate matching so Roku handles it as if framerate matching wasn't active.

Since all Rokus output at 60p without framerate matching, Roku tries to fit the 25 frames per second into 60 frames per second. So it has to create a cadence for 25p content on 60p. This should - emphasis on SHOULD - look like five sets of five frames for each of the 25 frames per second. Each set of five frames should look something like 2:2:3:2:3, meaning the first frame is displayed twice, the second twice, the third three times, the fourth twice, and the fifth three times. This means every set of five frames will be displayed 12 times and five sets of five frames (25p) will be displayed 12 x 5 times = 60p. Simply double these numbers for your 120hz TVs as the Roku doesn't output beyond 60hz, so your TV at 120hz will just double every frame it send it.

As I said, this SHOULD be the case for 25p content without framerate matching. It's not ideal but it shouldn't look so bad, at least not significantly worse than 24p content without framerate matching. But I have no idea what actual cadence Roku uses for 25p content - it's certainly not the logical 2:2:3:2:3 cadence. And as I have no ability to slow the Roku down frame by frame, I can't decipher this either.

I've asked the forum administrators here in the past to forward this to their engineers and acknowledge that they have a huge problem with 25p content on their devices.

PAL 25 fps content is output at 50 Hz by the Roku when the auto-adjust refresh rate option is enabled and the connected equipment is PAL or multi-system capable. It doesn't have anything to do with 120 Hz capability, it has to do with 50/60 Hz capability.

0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 12

Jump to solution

@SRKirk88 wrote:

Its definitely not my tv, because when I play a 4k hdr blu rays at 24p, I dont get any motion issues or frame drops.

Seems like when the roku changes frame rate when starting  a program, something happens were 24p is not set correctly. I've only notice this the last week.

And how often does the BD change framerates after you hit play? Like, never? 

I think Roku would get better results in discovering a way to prevent changing refresh rates on receipt of a flag in the stream until the stream to which that flag applies begins exiting the buffer. It always changes refresh rate before the stream it's intended for begins playing ( I'm talking about when a commercial or promo trailer at a different framerate is played before the program content.) It probably confuses your set in detecting the cadence, which you correct by stopping and restarting the stream.

0 Kudos
TricarboNate
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is such a serious issue, how is it NOT FIXED BY NOW??

Tried watching a 4K HDR Netflix movie today and it was a mess.....very visible judder. I had to set my TV to maximum interpolation to smooth it out......AKA soap opera effect. Even then, it was blurring during fast moving scenes due to interpolation.....and that is with a Sony TV that has some of the best motion handling out there.

So, if a Sony TV struggles to smooth out this mess, how on earth are other people watching Netflix without judder?

dave999z
Level 9

Jump to solution

Just contacted Roku support to ask about the status of this, since not much is happening anymore in this discussion.  This is just sad that some of the best content on Netflix (perhaps the largest streaming content provider) has to suffer from judder on Roku devices.  I wish we could get some info as to whether/when they plan to resolve this.  As it stands, I may have to return the Roku Ultra I just bought (which I otherwise really like) and get a different streaming device instead.

0 Kudos
dave999z
Level 9

Jump to solution

Update:  Here is Roku's incoherent email response to my inquiry.  On one hand they say this is in Netflix's and Hulu's control (which is not true).  On the other hand they say Roku will consider adding this option.  Those can't both be true.  This is of course in Roku's control.  Netflix has provided a workaround via an account setting.  Roku acts ignorant though.  Oh well.  (Not that anyone cares, but in my case I'll likely be returning my Ultra and getting an Apple TV.)

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. We understand that you want the auto-adjust display refresh rate setting to be available for Netflix and Hulu app.

Each channel (app) on the Roku platform is built and maintained by the channel provider directly. They control the channel's interface and available settings. As of now, Netflix and Hulu are not supporting the use of this feature. 

Despite the option that is currently unavailable on these particular apps, we will certainly consider bringing this option. Upon saying this, we will forward your feedback to the relevant department as a suggestion. Hearing from our customers about the desired options has always been our propelling factor towards advancement. 

https://support.roku.com/article/115012823268 (How do I change the display refresh rate to match the native format of each movie, video or TV show?)

Please reply to this e-mail if you have further questions.

Thank you for choosing Roku. Take care and have a great day!

Regards,
Raji
Roku Customer Support

0 Kudos
Skippy555
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've ended up buying a Shield TV tube (2019) as Netflix on that also supports Dolby Atmos.

Same for Disney+

So I only use the Roku for Amazon, YouTube (which seem to work better on Roku) and ITV (which isn't on the Shield)

The Roku is technically capable is being the one streaming box but it's being hamstrung by poor software implementation or politics.

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Skippy555 wrote:

I've ended up buying a Shield TV tube (2019) as Netflix on that also supports Dolby Atmos.

Same for Disney+

So I only use the Roku for Amazon, YouTube (which seem to work better on Roku) and ITV (which isn't on the Shield)

The Roku is technically capable is being the one streaming box but it's being hamstrung by poor software implementation or politics.

I too use the Shield on two TVs, but for different reasons. I want/need lossless audio passthrough, and Roku doesn't support that. Perhaps some day, but for now the Shield (using Kodi as the player) is my primary device for my local media. The Roku still does everything I need for all online streaming, so they won't be going anywhere in my home for the time being. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dave999z
Level 9

Jump to solution

Update #2:

From additional email correspondence, Roku maintains that it is Netflix that decided not to support frame rate matching in its Roku app.  Roku claims Netflix would have to enable the feature, and there's nothing Roku can do about it.

I then chatted with Netflix customer support (who was messaging with tech support), and they basically acknowledged they don't support this right now.  They said they'd pass the request along to management, but can't guarantee they will implement it.

So, I guess blame Netflix?  I can't understand why Netflix would support this on Apple TV devices but not Roku devices.

Uggh.  What a headache.

TomMCE
Level 8

Jump to solution

@dave999z wrote:

Update #2:

<removed all but summary>

Uggh.  What a headache.

Thanks for delving into this mess.  It is a headache and I hope Netflix and Roku will work it out.

Pramodreddi
Level 7

Jump to solution

Use TVHZ app ....  Download apk from browser and install...

Set to 50hz or below &

Enjoy .....

0 Kudos