Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acpulley
Level 7

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

Disregard. Amazon and Apple apps do it right. 24 and 60 fps playback sticks through menu transitions until a program with a different refresh rate is played. 

0 Kudos
SRKirk88
Level 9

Jump to solution

I find however, with apple tv and prime video. Watching films/shows in native 24p, I seem to get frame drops and motion stutters. You can notice it with head movements and panning shots. They are random, as when I rewind a scene where I have seen the motion issue, on second watch it's not there, it's fine.

Its definitely not my tv, because when I play a 4k hdr blu rays at 24p, I dont get any motion issues or frame drops.

Seems like when the roku changes frame rate when starting  a program, something happens were 24p is not set correctly. I've only notice this the last week.

Currently, I have to switched off framerate matching and I am using motion settings in my tv to get rid the 3:2 judder. Which is actually producing better motion then watching content in original 24p frame rate.

I have tried hard resetting the roku stick, however this did not fix the issue.

Just would like to know if any else has been experience these issues. I have the roku stick since January and I ve never notice this issue until  last week. However, I mainly been watching netflix and disney plus content, which dont frame rate match.

Has anyone else notice these random motion issues?

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@SRKirk88 wrote:

I find however, with apple tv and prime video. Watching films/shows in native 24p, I seem to get frame drops and motion stutters. You can notice it with head movements and panning shots. They are random, as when I rewind a scene where I have seen the motion issue, on second watch it's not there, it's fine.

Its definitely not my tv, because when I play a 4k hdr blu rays at 24p, I dont get any motion issues or frame drops.

Seems like when the roku changes frame rate when starting  a program, something happens were 24p is not set correctly. I've only notice this the last week.

Currently, I have to switched off framerate matching and I am using motion settings in my tv to get rid the 3:2 judder. Which is actually producing better motion then watching content in original 24p frame rate.

I have tried hard resetting the roku stick, however this did fix the issue.

Just would like to know if any else has been experience these issues. I have the roku stick since January and I ve never notice this issue until  last week. However, I mainly been watching netflix and disney plus content, which dont frame rate match.

Has anyone else notice these random motion issues?

Framerate matching has never worked correctly for me. It's the worst when playing DVD rips from my DLNA server. The audio is fine, but the video "stutters". Any motion is jerky. Isn't as bad with 1080 BD rips, but it just isn't worth it for me. I know it works for others, so mine is simply a data point. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roberto_Solis
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuTannerD 

Can you provide an update about this feature? This was one of the key features of why I bought my two Rokus a few years back...

Netflix have done their part to give the option to opt out of the auto preview.

We should have this feature in Netflix and Disney Plus.

Best Regards

Roberto

TricarboNate
Level 8

Jump to solution

I agree, please bring this feature back!

My TV can interpolate to 60 FPS just fine, with no judder. However, my projector cannot and it looks like a laggy mess as a result!

newbomb
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time.

This is not a solution, and don't try to deflect the blame on Netflix. This is *your* hardware, and *you* should work to get this problem fixed.

Because of this senseless decision, my Roku is going to the scrap heap of streaming boxes.

There are a large number of projector owners (Epson being one) where native 4k/60 HDR is not supported, but 4k/24 HDR works fine. Because Netflix most always requires HDR/4k to get Atmos, I cannot get Atmos on Roku.

The good thing is some competitor's streaming boxes will allow frame rate matching, and 4k/24p HDR (with Atmos) works great. See ya, I'm out.

Roberto_Solis
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuTannerD ,

Any updates on this? Are we going to have proper frame rate matching on Netflix, Disney Plus??????

Skippy555
Level 8

Jump to solution

From what I've seen on the Disney+ website they intentionally output video at 60Hz

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=826079bddbf3c818781bc58a139619c4

"Video frame rate is the number of individual frames or images that are displayed per second in a video display. It affects how clear your video appears. Most Disney+ content has video frame rates of 24 or 30 frames per second, which are commonly used for movies and TV shows.

Refresh rate is the number of times per second that a video display refreshes its image. The best refresh rate depends on the video frame rate of the video. Disney+ content is best displayed at a refresh rate of 60hz, or a multiple of 60hz. "

This is the same on the ShieldTV app too, although you can override this to force 24Hz on that device.

0 Kudos
ElderThorin
Level 7

Jump to solution

25p on Netflix is especially horrible.  Come on Roku, it's ridiculous that you made auto-adjust framerate not work on Netflix and Hulu.  I and it sounds like most people would MUCH prefer a little flicker to adjust to the correct framerate now and then to constant flickering while actually trying to watch a show.  It makes various shows completely unwatchable!

This seriously needs to be fixed.  People who don't want to watch with the correct framerate (? who are these mythical people anyway?) can just turn the option off - it's the whole point of having the option.  Let those of us who want to watch with the proper refresh do so, don't force us into the choice of seizure-inducing stuttering, not watching, or ditching your otherwise useful player.

Roku Ultra (4670 series)  

Wintergarden2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ya, 25p (UK, most European and Worldwide content) is unwatchable on any channel on my Roku 4 Ultra - with or without framerate matching. 25p doesn't trigger any framerate matching so Roku handles it as if framerate matching wasn't active.

Since all Rokus output at 60p without framerate matching, Roku tries to fit the 25 frames per second into 60 frames per second. So it has to create a cadence for 25p content on 60p. This should - emphasis on SHOULD - look like five sets of five frames for each of the 25 frames per second. Each set of five frames should look something like 2:2:3:2:3, meaning the first frame is displayed twice, the second twice, the third three times, the fourth twice, and the fifth three times. This means every set of five frames will be displayed 12 times and five sets of five frames (25p) will be displayed 12 x 5 times = 60p. Simply double these numbers for your 120hz TVs as the Roku doesn't output beyond 60hz, so your TV at 120hz will just double every frame it send it.

As I said, this SHOULD be the case for 25p content without framerate matching. It's not ideal but it shouldn't look so bad, at least not significantly worse than 24p content without framerate matching. But I have no idea what actual cadence Roku uses for 25p content - it's certainly not the logical 2:2:3:2:3 cadence. And as I have no ability to slow the Roku down frame by frame, I can't decipher this either.

I've asked the forum administrators here in the past to forward this to their engineers and acknowledge that they have a huge problem with 25p content on their devices.