Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wintergarden2
Level 8

Re: 24p not working on Netflix (and Hulu)

Jump to solution

Clearly, Roku had been receiving complaints about needless switching during Netflix autoplay trailers and Hulu ads. It's unfortunate that they decided to turn this feature off entirely when it took us years of requesting it for them to make it available in the first place (and on two of the largest streaming apps, of all things).

Fine. However, how about making it the default behavior that Netflix and Hulu don't switch frame rates BUT allowing a manual frame rate switch toggle only within those apps that comes up when you press the * button on the remote? The toggle would stay on per the entire session until you exit the app, or whatever other UX Roku deems optimal. C'mon, Roku, you have a killer feature that you're straight up hobbling and leaving your most ardent fans in the lurch!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

Clearly, Roku had been receiving complaints about needless switching during Netflix autoplay trailers and Hulu ads. It's unfortunate that they decided to turn this feature off entirely when it took us years of requesting it for them to make it available in the first place (and on two of the largest streaming apps, of all things).

Fine. However, how about making it the default behavior that Netflix and Hulu don't switch frame rates BUT allowing a manual frame rate switch toggle only within those apps that comes up when you press the * button on the remote? The toggle would stay on per the entire session until you exit the app, or whatever other UX Roku deems optimal. C'mon, Roku, you have a killer feature that you're straight up hobbling and leaving your most ardent fans in the lurch!

That toggle would have to be within the channel itself, and Roku has no control over that. They don't write the software the channels use, except for the two channels they themselves offer. It's something that Netflix and Hulu would have to add. Now that Netflix has added that control, Roku does need to re-enable the function in their firmware. Hopefully they're working on that now. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Wintergarden2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, re-enabling frame rate matching in the firmware would be ideal. The solution I suggested is a compromise that I believe all parties could live with. The * button on the remote brings up the core player's menu for toggling between the audio and subtitle tracks that a channel has provided for a certain piece of content. This isn't part of the UX wrapper that channels provide for the core video player; it's a system-wide roku feature. This makes it the optimal place to keep a secondary frame matching toggle to override the default behavior for apps like Netflix and Hulu (and whatever future apps) which don't respond to frame matching per the latest firmware. If the toggle has to be turned on every session (every time the app is opened after previously being opened and closed) it would be a minor inconvenience but the benefit would override that. Further, it would inhibit ignorant people complaining about frame matching if the feature disappeared the next time the app was opened - long term solution.

BarneyF
Level 12

Jump to solution

If someone would pursue this with Hulu and post the progress here, it would be appreciated. The amateur troubleshooting here is a waste of space. The change in Hulu's streams may have occurred around the time of a Roku OS update, but it also coincides with Hulu announcing that all of their live streams are now delivered at 60p. Have they converted all their content to 60p? Has anyone noticed the dates that Hulu's channel app was updated? I know mine just updated again today. I also noticed that a couple of Hulu streams were delivered at 24p and 50p a couple of days ago. After browsing a few other titles, I got 60p streams. Went back to the 2 streams that had been at 24p and 50p, and they were now at 60p. I see that CDN switching for load balancing and redundancy was added in Roku OS 9.2.0; any difference in stream availability there? (rhetorical question)

The response from a Hulu chat almost a month ago:

"I did see here that we have a known issue about the frame rate with our viewers. We're already collecting the details and have our technical team working to fix the situation.

… We will surely get this fix as soon as possible. And I am so sorry about the inconvenience."

From Roku:

"We would like to let you know that The Roku does not have any access with the channels interface ,The channels and applications are designed and provided by the channel partners , If there is an issue with the Roku device you might have faced difficulties in all the channel , This seems like an issue with the particular channel interface so we request to get in touch with the channel provider to isolate the issue."

Skippy555
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuTannerD as Netflix have now allowed us to turn off the auto preview videos in the menus (which works nicely for me on my SS+) can you ask if the Roku firmware can be updated to allow 24Hz playback on the Netflix app please?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Skippy555 Thanks for sharing the thought—I will pass the suggestion along. I would also recommend following up with the channel publisher as well to share your interest. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Skippy555
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks @RokuTannerD when I spoke to Netflix about this in the past they said the change was on the Roku software side, not theirs.

SRKirk88
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Skippy555 Thanks for sharing the thought—I will pass the suggestion along. I would also recommend following up with the channel publisher as well to share your interest. 

Thanks,

Tanner

@RokuTannerD

Any updates from your development team to reinstate 24p playback for netflix?

Thanks.

BarneyF
Level 12

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

On 9.2 I see that it works fine on Hulu IF at any point while the Hulu app is open, you stop at a program description page and wait for the screensaver to start. After you wake it, the feature works fine throughout that session. But currently your description of the feature claims that it does NOT work with Hulu (in addition to Netflix). If this is a problem with the Hulu app, could you pass this on to them to be fixed? And if it's a Roku issue, can you get it fixed?

0 Kudos
acpulley
Level 7

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

This trick, letting the screensaver activate before playing a selection, enables 24p in Disney+ also. Seems like it’s a Roku software problem. Roku Ultra 4660x.

0 Kudos