Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommy5725
Binge Watcher

2021 MLB app issues

Jump to solution

Hello there, I have been a Roku customer since the very first Roku, I currently have a Roku ultra a Roku streaming stick plus and many Roku TVs. This issue applies to them all. However I feel it is probably more of a MLB issue than a Roku issue, however, MLB support was of no use to me. So I'll put it here and see if someone somewhere can fix it. I have had the MLB app on my Roku for probably 10 years.  The updates and changes this year are abysmal. When I get out of work the game is usually over and when I queue it up I can tell who's going to win by the picture that they use. Apparently someone was paid to attach a picture that best describes the game. Seems reasonable, but with every game I've watched that is already ended the picture lines up 100% of the time with the winning team. So if it's a picture of my Cardinals they win and it's a picture of the opposing team they win. I guess this saves me from watching games they lose but it also takes all the excitement out of watching the game anyway. No point in watching when you already know the outcome. Problem number two, if I start watching the game then have to leave and then come back there's no option to resume, also abysmal. Problem number three, you used to be able to press the down arrow and select the inning or half inning that you wanted to start watching from, or navigate to. It was great they would hide the scores and you could just start wherever you want or navigate to wherever you want. So I guess my point is that if MLB wants me to keep giving them my money they had better fix these issues. However it must have been too expensive to put up a server that would take more than 300 characters on their website, money may be tight?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: 2021 MLB app issues

Jump to solution

@tommy5725

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact MLB support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach MLB support here: https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@tommy5725

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact MLB support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach MLB support here: https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
geniusmrx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It may not be an MLB problem, since one of MY problems is that Roku's app doesn't allow you to select an inning, or part of an inning, as you could in the past. You CAN do this on AtBat and MLB.com, so that is a Roku problem, as far as I can see. I am also annoyed by the hat-tip picture you have mentioned. Another problem is that when I go to my home screen, I'm a Brewers fan so their game from that day is shown as "Today's game," but after you click on it, you realize this is YESTERDAY'S game! And this is AFTER the game from that day has ended!! Even though we all expect streaming platforms to IMPROVE on the previous year, I would be insanely grateful for last year's MLB app on Roku. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @geniusmrx,

We appreciate your post.

If the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Aquasure1977
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have one Roku tv and one Fire TV and These issues also happen on the Fire TV versions of the app, so this is an MLB app developer issue, is not just a Roku issue.

Yes you used to be able to view the line score, the box score and jump to a specific inning or even jump to a specific individual at-bat.  I would gladly switch back to the old version of the app.

tommy5725
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I found a solution to the biggest problem; that being: "knowing who wins the game before you watch it." 

I simply chose a team from a division that virtually never plays my team that I could give 2 poops about.  I set them as my favorite team, because I couldn't unselect my team. I then found that because I was still following my favorite team that if the team that I had lied to MLB and told them was my favorite team suddenly the Cardinals would show up at the top of the screen because I was following them. So I then had to lie to them again and remove all of the following teams. So now that I've filled their app full of complete BS, when I open it I can simply scroll down and select the game and watch it.  

And to follow up on your comments.  Comments that I'm sure everyone that is loyal to MLB streaming service echoes. The previous app was a 10 of 10, if I had to rate it.  Please just bring the previous version back, for the love of God and all that is holy it was nearly perfect!  

And again this is not posted towards Roku. We know that Roku has nothing to do with this.  However MLB does not provide us a forum where we can post our complaints. They limit us to 300 characters because I guess they can't afford more. With less subscribers next year, maybe the limit the characters to six!

geniusmrx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I finally did talk to MLB tv, and the person I talked to understood my frustration, but he could only relay what I said. I think for now I'll just use MLB tv on my computer and cast it to my TV for the inning breakdown. Still really dumbfounded how it's been more than a month into the season and they don't realize how **bleep**ed up this is. Definitely a rare case where they should take two steps back and NO steps forward on the app - at least until they get a clue!

geniusmrx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, did that a few days ago! I felt stupid I hadn't done it sooner. It was pretty easy since teams are only playing their own division in interleague play this season. So I'll have to deal with all the A's games being ruined for me! 😉

0 Kudos
Aquasure1977
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What's that phone number? 

Might as well add on to their angry phone calls and see if they relay it, and actually do something about it.

0 Kudos
TBuckley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku Professionals,

Could you help me with a related issue, which is as follows (and after searching forum and trying all solutions not able to find a fix that works):
- I have a Roku Ultra (4670)
- Trying to access MLB through the Roku MLB app
- Previously I was able to do so
- Now when I try to access a spinning baseball appears for a while (e.g., 20 secs) and then I am presented a screen that reads, "There was a problem communicating with MLB."
- I have tried removing the channel from Roku, restarting the Roku device, and then adding the channel again.  And that does work.
- I have a wireless connection of greater than 100 Mbps, and nonetheless I tried connecting my Roku via Ethernet, and that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

0 Kudos