Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWes

will the security cameras operate on 5g wifi?

Jump to solution

I would like to buy some of the security cameras. But, I've learned hard lessons with other brands. Will Roku security cameras work with 5g wifi, WITHOUT CONSTANT REBOOTING? If not, please be honest, and say so.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: will the security cameras operate on 5g wifi?

Jump to solution

@DWes 

Thanks for the post.

The Roku Smart Home Cameras will require 2.4GHz wireless network connection with WPA/WPA2 security standard.

For more information about the Roku Smart Home Cameras, visit our Support page here: Set up your Indoor Camera SE

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DWes 

Thanks for the post.

The Roku Smart Home Cameras will require 2.4GHz wireless network connection with WPA/WPA2 security standard.

For more information about the Roku Smart Home Cameras, visit our Support page here: Set up your Indoor Camera SE

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sultan1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is this?  I have a 5 GHz wifi set-up.  I have Rokus throughout my house and they work great.  Why would you make cameras that work *only* on slower 2.4 GHz networks and furthermore why would your Roku Cameras app support *only* Roku cameras (which don't work on 5 GHz networks)?  Basically what you're saying is, "Sorry, you're on the faster 5 GHz network, therefore we will punish you by not allowing you to have a camera that works with your Roku."

Zorro1953
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree with what you are saying, but you could do what I did. But first, as I understand it, the Wi-Fi signal will travel farther on a 2.4 connection that a 5 GHz connection. So if you're going to be using your cams at any great distance from your router, 2.4 GHz would be the better option.

Here's what I did. Most 5 GHz routers are dual band, so I simply go into my router settings and turn off 5 GHz and allow only 2.4. Then I set up my Roku cams. After everything is working, then I go back to the router and re-enable the 5 GHz band. Now the cams work just fine as long as you allow both 2.4 and 5 GHz in your router. I might also mention, that against most recommendations, I use the same SSID and security settings for both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz settings.

It's not only Roku that requires 2.4 GHz in this day and age. A lot of IoT devices only operate on the 2.4 GHz setting.

0 Kudos
DeniRN

Re: ROKU cameras WON'T WORK w 5Ghz Wifi! Need to fix this

Jump to solution

I've been researching surveillance systems for our 2 homes which have all ROKU devices for well over 10 years. 

We love our Roku TV systems but this is unbelievable that Roku Home Security Cams won't work with the higher 5Ghz Internet. I had the same problem with VICTOR Internet mouse traps (not like I have a million mice 🤣)...but they too won't work with better IT speeds.   I'm glad I discovered this incompatibility with ROKU cameras, before I ordered them.

But I certainly hope *ROKU CORPORATE* takes note of this incompatibility & fixes it.  Roku won't just lose Home Security business, but likely ROKU TV & Streaming devices too.  

Come on guys!  Isn't it time to make ALL devices work with the better Internet speeds?

0 Kudos