Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csperry
Channel Surfer

Wired Doorbell connection issue(s)

I have both the wired and wireless Roku doorbells. I have connected them both wired. I have a brand new 24 volt transformer. They both connect to the same Linksys Tp265 router that is only running on 2.4gz. The router is less than 100 feet from the doorbells.  

When I look at the device details the wireless one has all three bars (device info page) and the wired one two bars. I can connect to the wireless one 100% of the time. The wired one is spotty. Many times it takes several attempts to connect on both phone app and TV. 

I also have the two Roku floodlights which also connect 100% of the time. (yep 4 roku devices). The wired doorbell is lite blue solid.

My guess is that the wireless antenna is larger on the wireless since the doorbell is so much heavier and larger. (I know the battery make the weight) Any suggestions how to get the wired doorbell to be more responsive on connecting to it?

I have rebooted the network several times. I even reinstalled the doorbell and same result.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
mlm44
Streaming Star

Re: Wired Doorbell connection issue(s)

I have the wired doorbell with exactly the same issues. I also have two indoor cameras, one wireless outdoor camera and one floodlight camera, and they all work just fine connection-wise. It's just the doorbell that is a problem with connections. Actually, it connects 100% at night but during the day it is hit and miss. There is something wrong with the firmware on the wired doorbell, it's not the wireless antenna IMHO.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@csperry @mlm44 

Thanks for the inquiry.

There are a variety of factors that could be contributing to the issue you are experiencing. For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried moving your wireless router closer to your wired doorbell to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mlm44
Streaming Star

Yes I moved the router closer to the doorbell and installed a WiFi extender that is less than 15 feet away. It is not a signal strength issue.

This troubleshooting is not getting me anywhere. The router folks tell me to check my devices, and the device folks tell me to check my router. Always finger pointing away from themselves. In this case, there is a problem on Roku's end and I am looking for answers not questions.

Sometimes the live video gets stuck at step 1, sometimes at step 3. Sometimes if I change the settings for night vision it will start streaming, but that only works if I get stuck on step 3. I almost never have a problem at night, it always starts as expected. It's only during the daylight that the streaming won't start. Once it starts, it usually keeps running until I exit the app. And if the doorbell detects motion, it records to the cloud even when I can't connect to the live stream, so it's not the signal. And by the way I just got a new latest and greatest iPhone which is up to date and it has the same problems with the app that my old phone had.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mlm44 

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns and details to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
csperry
Channel Surfer

Yes. Moved it on the other side of the wall. ZERO difference. Works at night most of the time. During the day not so much.  The larger Wireless doorbell is on the front door. Over 200 feet away from the access point. Work 100% of the time. So yes I think the smaller wired doorbell has issues.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@csperry

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mlm44
Streaming Star

My wired doorbell received a firmware update a few days ago and it seems to have resolved the connection issues.

0 Kudos
csperry
Channel Surfer

Since the update it has gotten better. My other Roku doorbell (wireless/wired) always connects.

0 Kudos