Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DylanSmartHome
Binge Watcher

Wire-Free Doorbell SE stopped working. Error 1003

Jump to solution

I bought a Wire-free Doorbell SE and 4 indoor wifi cameras and installed them a few days before leaving home for a few months. There's a homeless person I let sleep on my front porch at times, they had found a place to stay about a week before I left, but a prime reason for buying this system was to keep an eye on things in case he comes back while I'm gone. Now the doorbell isn't working/connecting and I see no events for any of the cameras being saved to the cloud. Previously I was getting regular events showing up. But I can watch live video for the 4 indoor cameras. 

I get an error 1003 when I try connecting the doorbell. When I open the Android app on my phone I see a "Failed to update device list. Error 2001". Is there an error code list anywhere? I'd like more information about what these errors mean? 

Anyone else gotten this type problem? I REALLY need that doorbell working! 

I was concerned the doorbell wasn't charging from being wired into the existing doorbell wires. It showed 83% charged when installed, but only 84% the next morning before I left. I had been using it unwired for a day or so before I wired it in before leaving home. It did show a "plug" icon after being wired in so I assumed it had good power and enough battery to go for days if not weeks even if it wasn't charging properly. So I don't know if it's a power issue, or a wifi issue, or just a bug with the app, or with the Roku Smart Home cloud service?

A family member will be coming by in a week or two to water plants and I can ask them to inspect the camera then, but they are not technical. And for the next week or two not being able to see what's happening on the front porch is a distinct worry. That's the most important camera in this system and a huge disappointment it's stopped working so quickly. Now I can't trust the Roku system at all really.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wire-Free Doorbell SE stopped working. Error 1003

Jump to solution

I can't help with most of that, but I've seen that "2001" error on my Android phone multiple times.  One of the more annoying things about Roku is that they have a multitude of error codes with no explanation as to what they mean.  The only way I've found to get rid of the 2001 error is to remove the app and reinstall it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I can't help with most of that, but I've seen that "2001" error on my Android phone multiple times.  One of the more annoying things about Roku is that they have a multitude of error codes with no explanation as to what they mean.  The only way I've found to get rid of the 2001 error is to remove the app and reinstall it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DylanSmartHome
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for that! It did work! Reinstalled the app by uninstalling and installing again and I can see the doorbell livestream and see many events from tree shadows moving on windows, lightning flashes, neighborhood cats checking out the front porch, etc. So, pretty annoying, hope I don't have to make a habit of reinstalling the app on my phone, but the problem does seem limited to the phone app and the cameras and cloud event recordings seem to have been doing the right thing all along even when the app wasn't working.

Battery level on the doorbell is still at 84%, so at least it's not going down, but disappointing it's not charging. Should the doorbell charge from the doorbell wires? Or does it just use doorbell wiring power to run and battery charging still needs to be done by removing the doorbell unit (hard to do when the wires are screwed on) and plugging in USB power to it's port on the back??

0 Kudos
pmk23

Jump to solution

I am getting this also on the Android app.  Uninstall/Reinstall does fix it, temporarily, then it occurs again.

I think this is a bug in the app itself that Ruko will need to fix.

0 Kudos
DylanSmartHome
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear this is reoccurring for you. It's not a great sign. Security equipment needs to work well and consistently. 

I didn't expect national security grade equipment for $200, but this is a little worrisome. 

Checking this morning on of my indoor cameras is offline. Says to check my internet connection and power cycle (error 90 I think?). A "restart camera" didn't work, but if there's no working connection to the camera, I didn't expect it to. 

This seems like a problem with that camera that doing the app uninstall/reinstall won't fix, but it's hard to say??

0 Kudos
mlm44
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When the indoor camera goes offline I turn it off and then on again from the app and that usually seems to fix it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We would recommend trying to reboot your Roku Smart Home cameras to see if the issue persists.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos