Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bubbatex
Reel Rookie

Can Roku cameras be used on a local network without Internet after set up?

This is a question for the more technically inclined folks here. I have a subnet specifically for my security cameras with a strong firewall that does not permit inbound or outbound Internet traffic. I can, however, access these cameras from my other subnets. I also have a VPN set up for remote viewing. 

So my question is, can Roku cameras be used in this manner? Weather through the Roku app or via standard IP cam interface such as RTSP or ONVIF. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Rokcuz1951
Streaming Star

Re: Can Roku cameras be used on a local network without Internet after set up?

There's a thread about topic but I am not sure if anyone actually garnered a solution.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/IP-Camera-Viewer-v4-0-with-RTSP-ONVIF-support-r... 

You'd need to figure out what port the cameras were using for RTSP.

I tried using VLC long ago to view http: stream of my dashcam with success.

Wish I could help more, this wasn't my strong suit.

If you figure it out I'd be curious to know what you did.

0 Kudos
GlenF
Reel Rookie

Roku launched their smart home line about a week after I bought Wyze cameras, and they're the same system. Those cameras don't natively provide RTSP but there's a github bridge that works for me (https://github.com/mrlt8/docker-wyze-bridge). Odds are pretty good it will work with the Roku cams. If not, I hope someone will let me know.

0 Kudos
Rokcuz1951
Streaming Star

Do the Wyze Floodlight V3s record audio to the MicroSD?

These Roku cameras only record video at the moment....

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@GlenF, I couldn't get it to work.  I got something like "Invalid credentials".  I don't have any Wyze credentials and my Roku credentials didn't work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
GlenF
Reel Rookie

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot I had to provide Wyze credentials when I set it up. I don't know how much trouble it would be to try and change the URL it wants to login to. Even so, it looks like that authorization means it needs the internet. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@GlenF wrote:

I don't know how much trouble it would be to try and change the URL it wants to login to.

It's actually not too hard, but I'm not real sure what URL to use or whether it uses the same mechanism to authenticate.  I'd say it's pretty clear that it uses some Wyze URL judging by the traffic I've observed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos