Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
livesimple
Level 7

activation fraud

I was nearly the victim of the Roku Activation fraud for about $70. What fascinates me is how the fraudsters were able to hijack the Roku box in my home and display THEIR phone number, 888 762-2265, on my screen!  Roku? Really? You have my email address; you coulda-shoulda let me and other customers know this was-is-and-will-be going on for who-knows-how-long.  I called the number and gave away sensitive information before I became suspicious.  You apparently have been aware of this scam for some time, judging by a google search with the term "roku activation scam". There are even references to this scam on this very board!

Please let me know what I should do to help make sure this nonsense ends, not just for my sake, but for others. Do I/we need to get a more secure Roku device? Will you keep your end of that sacred expectation that you value your customers' privacy enough to keep them informed of any significant risk that your company might be exposing them to?  Sincerely, I hope you do. I've appreciated Roku as a company for your innovation. Don't blow it now.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: activation fraud

I seriously doubt a phone number other than one associated with Roku showed up on your TV screen. Now, if you told me it showed up on your cell phone or computer screen, I'd believe you, or at least that you incorrectly typed an activation link address.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

By the way, the number you posted is a number to PNC bank. Google it and you'll see. Not a fraudster, but a legitimate US Bank. Gosh, I'd love to see how you got to this "fraud".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos

There were a rash of these reports a couple years ago. Turned out that instead of typing the displayed activation link directly into the browser address bar, people were using Google search to go to the page. These fraudsters in some way hijacked that process with a bogus support phone number.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Also, some people incorrectly type in the activation link, maybe the OP did the same thing and didn't realize it.

I'd like to know exactly what he or she did to get to the wrong screen. I guaranty the screen they were on was not in the Roku.com domain.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
Also, some people incorrectly type in the activation link, maybe the OP did the same thing and didn't realize it.

I'd like to know exactly what he or she did to get to the wrong screen. I guaranty the screen they were on was not in the Roku.com domain.

My parents ended up on the line with one of these scammers when they were setting up a new Roku a couple or three years ago. Dad hung up the phone when they asked him for cc information and then called me. I never did figure out how he got there as Dad isn't too good at recounting process details.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

“.......Please let me know what I should do to help make sure this nonsense ends, not just for my sake, but for others. Do I/we need to get a more secure Roku device? Will you keep your end of that sacred expectation that you value your customers' privacy enough to keep them informed of any significant risk that your company might be exposing them to?  Sincerely, I hope you do. I've appreciated Roku as a company for your innovation. Don't blow it now……..”

Apparently I’m not the only one that’s concerned about privacy here.  I discussed my lack of choice in more detail here:

"Purchasing For Family Member In Nursing Home"
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=155061[/url:awrdyrws]

Your own concerns are not out of line as far as these devices are in their present state, no matter what others here might try to sway you.   I do honestly think that Roku cannot control some things like other people masquerading as a supposed “official” Roku registration site or as some sort of independent local Roku device initial assemble and hook up service.  I seen these “offers” myself online when I bought my first Roku a while back.  The Internet is a vast place not really governed in any particular area.  It’s a new wild west out there, that’s for sure.  

Other things they can do very easily as it’s within their own devices and control.  Like anything those devices show on their own screens to using passwords/passcodes for some sensitive information (like they do right now for WiFi access to adding channels on all their devices).   Some other things are not addressed quite yet like displaying what on the screen.  I do hope they will get around to it eventually.   In the meantime, don’t despair.  I still really like streaming with my now departed Roku.   I just moved it to another location until the company gets it act together.  That was my ultimate-I hope-temporary solution with my own Ultra.  

The new Roku (and other streaming devices) owner (like you) has to be very, very careful when setting up anything online involving some sort of sensitive personal information exchange.  It's your money and privacy is at possible risk, not other’s.  A bit-though don’t overdo it-of healthy caution is required here.  I set up all of my own previous Roku(s) in this way, never googled the registration site-just typed it in my browser from the included  instructions  and had no trouble until I hit the other roadblock.  It happens.

Good Luck Livesimple!
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

"livesimple" wrote:
I was nearly the victim of the Roku Activation fraud for about $70. What fascinates me is how the fraudsters were able to hijack the Roku box in my home and display THEIR phone number, 888 762-2265, on my screen!  Roku? Really? You have my email address; you coulda-shoulda let me and other customers know this was-is-and-will-be going on for who-knows-how-long.  I called the number and gave away sensitive information before I became suspicious.  You apparently have been aware of this scam for some time, judging by a google search with the term "roku activation scam". There are even references to this scam on this very board!

Please let me know what I should do to help make sure this nonsense ends, not just for my sake, but for others. Do I/we need to get a more secure Roku device? Will you keep your end of that sacred expectation that you value your customers' privacy enough to keep them informed of any significant risk that your company might be exposing them to?  Sincerely, I hope you do. I've appreciated Roku as a company for your innovation. Don't blow it now.

do a hard reset on the roku using it's physical button then follow the instructions on screen exactly. I included instruction for you below

How to Factory Reset Roku– Hard Method
If a system restart and soft factory reset don't do the job, or your Roku TV, box, or stick isn't responding to your remote commands, your final choice is to execute a hardware factory reset.

Find the reset button on your Roku TV, streaming stick, or box.

Roku Reset Buttons on Streaming Stick, Box, and TV
Roku Reset Buttons on Streaming Stick, Box, and TV. Roku
Press and hold the reset button. Roku recommends doing so for about 20 seconds.

When the factory reset is complete, the power indicator light on the Roku device will blink rapidly. Release the reset button.

If you have a Roku TV and it doesn't have a reset button:

Press the Mute and Power buttons on the TV.

While holding the aforementioned buttons, unplug the TV's power cord and plug it back in.

Release the buttons when the TV's startup screen comes back.

Proceed through Guided Setup to re-enter your account and settings information.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You're not gonna be one of these users that cross-posts completely unrelated issues to other threads for the rest of your time here, are you?

This all started with a user who probably entered a webpage address incorrectly. Has nothing to do with the paranoia you typed about in your other thread replies. Just because nobody agreed with your paranoia in the other thread, doesn't mean you have to spread it to other topics..

"Iona-D" wrote:
“.......Please let me know what I should do to help make sure this nonsense ends, not just for my sake, but for others. Do I/we need to get a more secure Roku device? Will you keep your end of that sacred expectation that you value your customers' privacy enough to keep them informed of any significant risk that your company might be exposing them to?  Sincerely, I hope you do. I've appreciated Roku as a company for your innovation. Don't blow it now……..”

Apparently I’m not the only one that’s concerned about privacy here.  I answered my lack of choice in more detail here:

"Purchasing For Family Member In Nursing Home"
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=155061[/url:ef4jhson]

Your own concerns are not out of line as far as these devices are in their present state, no matter what others here might try to sway you.   I do honestly think that Roku cannot control some things like other people masquerading as a supposed “official” Roku registration site or as some sort of independent local Roku device initial assemble and hook up service.  I seen these “offers” myself online when I bought my first Roku a while back.  The Internet is a vast place not really governed in any particular area.  It’s a new wild west out there, that’s for sure.  

Other things they can do very easily as it’s within their own devices and control.  Like anything those devices show on their own screens to using passwords/passcodes for some sensitive information (like they do right now for WiFi access to adding channels on all their devices).   Some other things are not addressed quite yet like displaying what on the screen.  I do hope they will get around to it eventually.   In the meantime, don’t despair.  I still really like streaming with my now departed Roku.   I just moved it to another location until the company gets it act together.  That was my ultimate-I hope-temporary solution with my own Ultra.  

The new Roku (and other streaming devices) owner (like you) has to be very, very careful when setting up anything online involving some sort of sensitive personal information exchange.  It's your money and privacy is at possible risk, not other’s.  A bit-though don’t overdo it-of healthy caution is required here.  I set up all of my own previous Roku(s) in this way, never googled the registration site-just typed it in my browser from the included  instructions  and had no trouble until I hit the other roadblock.  It happens.

Good Luck Livesimple!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@livesimple

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, and a good contact phone number. I'll have a member of our team reach out to follow up with you directly to assist you further. 

@everyone 

Roku does not charge for setup support, account creation, or device activation. You can see more about this topic here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos