Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryMann
Level 7

Very angry that it doesn’t work properly on the Isle of Man

I bought a Roku stick from Curry’s PC World in the Isle of Man today. Got home excited to plug it in and get going only to discover the search feature was disabled. So I scrolled through 728 channels to find Now Tv and it wasn’t there. I spent 3 hours searching the internet and checking settings etc trying to solve this problem and gave up. I went on a local Facebook group for a rant and discovered it doesn’t work here!!! I BOUGHT IT FROM HERE!!! The Now TV logo is on the box, yet not available to me. I’ve wasted my time and will be wasting my fuel taking it back to the store. I’m SO angry. I’ll be swapping it for a competitor’s model. Other Manx users have told me the following work here: amazon fire stick, Now tv box and stick, Apple TV. Why is Roku the only one that doesn’t work? I feel like invoicing Roku for wasting my time and money.

Seriously annoyed.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Very angry that it doesn’t work properly on the Isle of Man

Roku isn't the one stopping it from working. The app developers (usually the service itself, or a developer contracted by the service) determine where the various apps work. As for why the developers don't include your location, you'd have to ask them.

If you're looking for Now TV, why aren't you looking at the Now TV box or Stick? Does it now support the other apps you're seeking?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
AngryMann
Level 7

I don’t understand how it can be the app developers if you can get all the apps I want on other devices here. Even the phone I’m typing this on has the main apps I watch. But I want to be able to watch them on my non-smart tv. It’s a regional problem in that Roku doesn’t include the Isle of Man with what you’d get in the U.K. Some android devices have the same problem here. It’s infuriating. I almost bought the Now TV stick today but Netflix isn’t available on it, yet. But that’s what I’ll be switching to tomorrow. It annoys me so much that it’s being sold here.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

THere's been previous posts about this exact issue.  Do some searching on here and you might find a solution.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"AngryMann" wrote:
I don’t understand how it can be the app developers if you can get all the apps I want on other devices here.

There are many Roku apps that aren't available somewhere but are available on different devices in the same location. It is up to the channel developer to assign the regions that they are available in. Other than a couple of channels that Roku themselves offer, they have no control over what channel is available in what country. If your retailer made the claim that the channels you desire were available in your area, on the Roku, then I would say your anger should be directed at them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
maine4me
Level 7

I also don't have a smart TV, but how I get around this is to use a chromecast stick and then mirror the app on the phone to the TV through the chromecast.  I have the old first generation and am able to do that just fine, and is works fine.  You need internet for that to work and, I am assume you must have a tv with HDMI outlets, is that correct?
0 Kudos