Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xerotrek328
Level 7

Used player

Jump to solution

So I have a used player. Someone else’s email attached. Had it for awhile. Don’t pay for anything and there’s no card info or anything and I don’t want it anyway. And I’d change this player to my own email and info so I could add private channels but I don’t want to lose my login for Hulu And all my setups.

So first off how can I change the email on the player to my account. And. If I do so what will I lose and have to reset or do to make it like it is now. I’d there a way I can just change the email itself?

It isn’t locked or anything. I can add normal channels and such as is. Just can’t change email and I sort of need to do that if I want to add the device to my own account so I can add private channels. But I won’t do it and leave it as is if it messes everything up. remember I’m not using passwords or card info for anyone and don’t have access to anything. It just shows their email and not mine and so I can’t figure out how to change it. Or do I want to if there’s a lot of work involved on my end. And what are the pros and cons if I do it?  Can I just change the emails and that’s it?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Used player

Jump to solution

@Xerotrek328 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @biscanejack mentioned, in order to change the email on the account, you would need the original account information.

In any case, we would highly recommend performing a factory reset on the device if it is a used player as you could potentially be making charges to the original owners account.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
biscanejack
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hello Xerotrek328,

I'm going to repeat what I understand your issue to be, just to make sure I understand. You have a Roku that is working under some other ID. I'll call that the original ID. You would like to move this Roku over to your ID but only if it doesn't affect anything.

If so then you don't want to do a factory reset which would generate a new activation code for you to add the Roku to your ID as that would eliminate all of the configuration. If you can log on to Roku using the original ID then it looks like you can change the email for the account at https://my.roku.com/account/edit.

But if you don't have the password for the original ID then I don't see that you can change the email without losing the current configuration.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Xerotrek328 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @biscanejack mentioned, in order to change the email on the account, you would need the original account information.

In any case, we would highly recommend performing a factory reset on the device if it is a used player as you could potentially be making charges to the original owners account.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xerotrek328
Level 7

Jump to solution

You don’t listen. And it took me six months to figure out how to get back into these messages. Cause I’m old. Snd disabled and had three surgeries since. Now that I’m back home I have a new problem as well as further clarification on what I said previously. Could have emailed me as I included it in the message. Maybe then I’d have replied back sooner. [personal information removed]

First off I have only Hulu snd Netflix which I pay for myself on my credit card monthly which doesn’t cost whoever the old owner is anything. So accusing me of running up their bills after I’ve had it for years is offensive. I’m no thief. Snd it’s insulting.  I just don’t want to re add info and take an hour figuring out my passwords which ill never remember and I didn’t want to lose my histories. This is not a hard concept. F it. I’ll keep the old info. It isn’t a problem. But saying I’m buying stuff under their name well I can go f self. Why the **bleep** would I publicize. 

my main problem is that since yesterday when I open YouTube the player powers down and reboots to the r o k u letters re entering the screen. It isn’t my internet or wifi. My phone works with YouTube snd the girls say their laptop is fine. So it’s just my YouTube app on the roku. I uninstalled the channel. Powered down. Reinstalled the channel. Powered down. Each time I left off for five minutes and not plugged into tv nor power at all.  Still doing it. 

that is ALL online told me to do. Uninstall and reinstall channel and power down. And I did it twice and powered down twice each run through. So. What the f is the problem.  And I’m not buying a new roku.  I have a roku2. Whatever age it is too bad. I’m old and disabled and have no income. I have family paying my bills and I’m bedridden at this point. So stop trying to upsell me.  The problem is the app. YouTube is rebooting the roku. And that’s what I watch half the time. So figure it the f out. Snd hey maybe email me this time so I can get a reply soon huh. Oh snd swell job not having a call in number for help. Nah u only want to talk to people when U sell them stuff. Lovely customer service. We help u spend money but repairing our own f ups nah u can type a novel onto a pain in ass site to get into snd hope for a reply. So once you have our money it’s boo hoo we don’t care huh jump thru hoops.  Please.  Email me.  Not asking for a néw model for free. And I don’t care if mine is old.  It works on all other apps. Well u took twitch down but that is what it is. Probably greed. Whatever. Point is I need YouTube.  

0 Kudos
biscanejack
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hello Xerotrek328,

I am sorry that you're having medical issues and hope and pray that you get better. But if your last update was meant for me then I'm afraid that there is some confusion. The only connection I have with Roku is that I am, like you, a user. 

Your original issue was how to change the email address of an existing account. Your new problem is that the YouTube channel causes your Roku to reboot. A quick search found three similar cases last year. Two were resolved by Roku Support contacting the user directly and one was resolved by changing the DNS. I'm including the link to that below.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-Express-in-reboot-loop/m-p/5119...

If changing the DNS does not help then I suggest opening a new item. You'll want to go to the Roku Support page, https://support.roku.com/, and at the bottom of the page there are links to "Ask the Roku Community" and "Agent Support".

All the best.

0 Kudos