Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Razor
Level 7

Upgrade Offer Unsupported Devices

I recently got an email from Roku stating they’d stop supporting my perfectly good Roku because it was old and many channels may be dropping from it. I read that as “give us more of your money” extortion. There is no reason this device can’t be business as usual. As of yesterday Amazon just got my money for a 4K stick $5 cheaper and my old Roku still running Netflix just fine will move to the guest room. Way to go Roku, hope your business stays in operation, we were really impressed with your innovation back in the day. Too bad your business sense sucks!

[content updated per Roku Community Guidelines]

14 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Extortion

The old roku's that are losing Netflix won't lose them until tomorrow. So having it today doesn't mean they're still fine.

0 Kudos
JakerT
Level 7

I agree with you.  Last year (October 2018)I bought a new Roku and now I got the same email.  So now they are saying that my 1 year old device is obsolete and I have to give them $15. more dollars to upgrade. That's not right.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

You must of purchase a used or very old stock, because no 2018 roku's are being dropped. Roku is dropping support for roku's that are 7 & 8 years or older.

0 Kudos
JakerT
Level 7

Bought it from Best Buy in Kenosha Wi.

And when I bought it Roku still had it on it's website for sale.

And I just checked their website and my Roko (Express) is STILL on their website for purchase. Now, instead of $40. It's $29.95.  The email they sent me says I can upgrade for $15. and what do I get for that??? A Roku that has a $30. value except they are now calling is Express + .

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

If you please, go in to the settings> system> about> Can you list name and model number?

0 Kudos
JakerT
Level 7

Sorry, I didn't have any more time to deal with this yesterday.

3900X Roku Express

Don't spend too much time on this issue.  I just realized that out of the 84? channels we have we only use 3 of them and they are all accessible through the internet. I can bookmark them on our server and  run them that way through our  VPN.  That's probably a better solution anyway. We'll use the Roku till it dies and switch over to our server full time.  Thank You.

0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 10

The 3900 is still supported.  Is it possible that you once owned an older Roku and did not remove it from your profile?  That would have triggered the email.

P.S. not sure of the OP's definition of "Extortion" but seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

0 Kudos
Boz
Level 10

@optikhog wrote:

The 3900 is still supported.  Is it possible that you once owned an older Roku and did not remove it from your profile?  That would have triggered the email.

P.S. not sure of the OP's definition of "Extortion" but seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

I have no idea how so many people, including JakerT, are so confused!  How do people like that function in the real world?

Anyway, as already noted above, JakerT is WRONG about the Roku Express 3900 no longer being supported!

Edeltraud
Level 7

Re: Upgrade Offer Unsupported Devices

I received the same email for my Roku 2, saying it will no longer be supported. As the email suggested I bought the $15 Roku Express+. With the tax and shipping charges I actually paid $22.86.

My Roku 2 remote had a headhpone jack but the Express+ remote does not. I like using my headphone. I've been trying to find out if I can pair an old remote that has a jack with express+ or exchange the remote.

I have two tv's. The TV for which I want to use the express+ is broken and I need to get a new tv. I can't try to pair the remote right now. I just wanted an answer to my question.

There is no way that I can get through to Roku via telephone or email. Their customer service sucks. All you get is suggestions on going to their online topics. There is not topic with my problem. Anyone have any suggestion.

0 Kudos