Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kimracheljones3
Reel Rookie

Update email or factory reset?

Jump to solution

How do I update my email in.th Roku express if I no longer have access to this email? I can't take advantage of Promotions ordermoovies if I can't.login to roku. Should I factory reset the roku express and how do I do this?  

Which option is easier to make my account continuous and grow with my account?

Thank you. In advance 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alex-Roku
Retired Moderator

Re: Update email or factory reset?

Jump to solution

Hey there everyone,

@Strega and @Tivoburkee thanks for the help on this question and for being active members of our Roku Community!

@Kiimracheljones3 to change your Roku account email address please follow the steps provided below:

1. Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone.
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Under the Account Information section, click or tap the Update button.
  4. After making any changes, select Save Changes.

We've also included some helpful articles for you here:

How to change Email Address: https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756008

How to Factory Reset Device: https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208757008 

Additionally, we do recommend deleting your email address from your previous post to protect your personal information.

Hope this information helps and if you have any more questions feel free to reply to this post or send us a private message directly. #HappyStreaming

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You should be able to log in at roku.com using your existing account (using the old email address) and change the email address.  At the very least, I would log into the existing account and make sure you have no active subscriptions there, since you don't want subs that you can't control.

There's a Roku page about changing your email address

(Even though you don't have access to the old email, that shouldn't stop you from logging in at roku.com, because logging in doesn't actually involve emailing.)

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you change your email at Roku.com, you will have to factory reset the Roku itself to enter the new email address. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Alex-Roku
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey there everyone,

@Strega and @Tivoburkee thanks for the help on this question and for being active members of our Roku Community!

@Kiimracheljones3 to change your Roku account email address please follow the steps provided below:

1. Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone.
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Under the Account Information section, click or tap the Update button.
  4. After making any changes, select Save Changes.

We've also included some helpful articles for you here:

How to change Email Address: https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756008

How to Factory Reset Device: https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208757008 

Additionally, we do recommend deleting your email address from your previous post to protect your personal information.

Hope this information helps and if you have any more questions feel free to reply to this post or send us a private message directly. #HappyStreaming

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

You should be able to log in at roku.com using your existing account (using the old email address) and change the email address.  At the very least, I would log into the existing account and make sure you have no active subscriptions there, since you don't want subs that you can't control.

There's a Roku page about changing your email address

(Even though you don't have access to the old email, that shouldn't stop you from logging in at roku.com, because logging in doesn't actually involve emailing.)

@Strega  that works as long as the user remembers the password to Roku account. 

If they can't remember password, and don't have access to email anymore to do a self service password reset, then only option factory reset and new Roku account (linked to accessible email) unless Roku support will reset password to Roku account manually.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

If you change your email at Roku.com, you will have to factory reset the Roku itself to enter the new email address. 

Not true. I changed my email at Roku, and it was automatically updated on the devices.

0 Kudos
AnneW

Jump to solution

I forgot my email and cannot set a new one up. Can I change my email?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

On the Roku, go to settings/system and you will see the email account it is using. Use that to login to the Roku site. If you forgot the password, there is probably a "Forgot Password" link.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@AnneW-

@andyross wrote:

On the Roku, go to settings/system and you will see the email account it is using. Use that to login to the Roku site. If you forgot the password, there is probably a "Forgot Password" link.

One more step, it's Roku menu path Settings > System > About

When logging into your Roku account at https://my.roku.com at this point your email address is just a login name - it doesn't matter if you can't access this email account, as long as you know (or can guess) your Roku password.

The "Forgot password" link is only useful if you both know the email address for the account, AND currently have access to that account to retrieve the email it will send to you..

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Not true. I changed my email at Roku, and it was automatically updated on the devices.

Agreed, unless things have changed recently.

When I updated the email address in my Roku account at https://my.roku.com, the change was shown in Settings > System > About for all my linked devices, plus the login name for my Roku account and here at the Community were updated as well.

Edited to add:  All this done without having to Factory reset any device.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos