Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beq
Level 8

Unlink Roku from account does full reset?

We had let someone leave with a Roku TV and forgot to do a factory reset. I was then made aware of app usage from that TV.

So I went online and unlinked the device from the Roku account. Is this enough to compel a factory reset immediately when online, or within 24 hrs, or upon next restart?

I *seem* to recall from doing this years ago, that for some reason the Roku device retained at least Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu apps on the home screen after the reset? If so would each app still be logged in?

Is it necessary for example to go into the Netflix account to log out all devices, and change the login as well?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
fredneck
Level 10

Re: Unlink Roku from account does full reset?

I believe when you unlink your account your channels that were on that Roku may no longer work. Still not as safe as doing a factory restore. Found this little blurb on unlinking, but it really does not specifically mention if all the channels will be removed. I know this does happen when you do a factory reset which puts the Roku into the same state as it was when you bought it even if it is still linked to your account but then your channels are automatically added back. Here is another source from Roku on unlinking.
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"beq" wrote:
We had let someone leave with a Roku TV and forgot to do a factory reset.  I was then made aware of app usage from that TV.

So I went online and unlinked the device from the Roku account.  Is this enough to compel a factory reset immediately when online, or within 24 hrs, or upon next restart?

I *seem* to recall from doing this years ago, that for some reason the Roku device retained at least Netflix, Amazon Video, and Hulu apps on the home screen after the reset?  If so would each app still be logged in?

Is it necessary for example to go into the Netflix account to log out all devices, and change the login as well?

As Fred indicated, it's not quite the same as doing a factory reset. However, it does force the user to register the Roku, since it's no longer tied to your account. It will have to be tied to some account. When they do that, they'll get the apps that they choose during their setup. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon may be pre-selected.

As for still on your account, I'm not certain. It's fairly easy to log in to Hulu and Amazon and remove the individual device. Netflix is another story. You only have the option to remove all from your account, meaning you'll have to log in again on any device you use for Netflix. Depending on how many that is, it may or may not be a big deal. If you share your Netflix account, that may make it more difficult, as you'll either need to provide them with the credentials, or make a trip to log in yourself.

What Fred said is absolutely correct. Even if you had done a reset, you'd still need to have removed it from your Roku account.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Thank you guys.  Guess I have some work to do...

Funny enough it was a local independent technician subcontracted by TCL USA to replace one of our Roku TV's under warranty.  I followed up, and he promised to stop using and factory reset the original TV heh...
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm fairly confident that removing the Roku from your account should fix your issue, without having to go to each channel.  I can test it tomorrow on a Roku 3.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Oh thanks, that's a relief!
0 Kudos
jdinnyc
Level 7

Hi!  I did the same thing and got rid of my Roku without resetting it.  Were you able to confirm whether unlinking the device is sufficient, or whether I should be changing all the associated passwords (e.g., netflix, amazon prime, hulu, etc.)?  
0 Kudos