Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debargew
Level 7

Unable to load channels from Roku webiste

I have a Roku account on their website for adding channels. Most of the channels will not load. For example: Pluto. Pluto is listed as an available channel on the Roku site but I get a "can't find channel" error when I try to load it. Also.. on most of the featured channels, the "add channel" button is ghosted out. I have a Roku HDMI Stream Stick Model 3800R (2017 Model). Anybody have any idea what may be the issue? Is is a Roku website issue?

Some of the private channels will load if I use a code bit not all.

BD
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Unable to load channels from Roku webiste

I'm able to access the Channel Store and everything looks fine. So, let's see if we can figure out what's causing the difference in your experience and mine.

First, where are you? In the US? Somewhere else?

What about on the device itself? When you go to the Streaming Channels section on the device Main Menu, does Pluto TV show up in a search? How about under Most Popular (it's 16 of 75 for me)?

If not, what shows up under most popular?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
debargew
Level 7

Thank you for your response.

I'm East Coast US.

The Streaming Channels section on the device Main Menu does not list Pluto. I conducted a detailed search on channel listings and Pluto is no where to be found. There are 75 channels listed in "Most Popular" on the Roku stick itself. None of them are Pluto. Some of the channels I do see are MLB, Netflix, Youtube, PLEX, Reuters, NBS, etc...

Regards,

BillD
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I would have expected Hulu, Prime Video, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, and The Roku Channel to have been in those you listed, as those should be near the top of the list. Are you not seeing those under Most Popular?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
debargew
Level 7

No.. none of those channels are on my stick. I see them on the Roku website, select the channel I desire (Pluto, Tubi, etc), select "Add Channel" and I get a "loading" action...but after about 5-10 seconds, I get a "Your search did not return any channels* error on the Roku website. Even though I selected the specific channel.

I have done a complete factory reset of my streaming stick but I have the same issues with the channels. I tried using different web browsers (Chrome, Edge) but same issue. I normally use FireFox.

Wondering if it's a DNS issue or something like that with the Roku website.. unsure. I did submit a system issue email on the Roku website but that may take a while for a response.

I identified the actual stick settings, they are:
Model: 3800X
Software Version: 8.0.1 Build 4090-55

Regards,

BillD
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You said you're in the US. That means you should see US channels. However, those that you responded aren't showing are US-only channels. That means you aren't seeing the US store on the device. I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions that are designed to figure out what's causing this.

Do BBC iPlayer, Now TV, or ITV hub show in your list of available channels? That would indicate you're seeing the UK store.

What about VMedia or Cineplex? That would indicate the Canada store.

You said you're East Coast US. Well, that's a large area. Are  you near the Canadian border? If your ISP is actually reporting you in Canada (it happens sometimes for people near the border) then you might get the Canada store.

And I have to ask this. You answered already, but -- and don't take this the wrong way -- in the past, others have reported being in the US when they were actually using geolocation tricks to simulate being in the US. So, because of experience with others, please understand that I feel the need to ask again: Are you physically in the US? That is, if you walk out your front door, is that US soil under your feet? Or, are you elsewhere but using a VPN or other means to access the US? Because that might give you the results you're getting.

As far as that goes, are you using a VPN at all? That could also explain some things (tied in to my previous paragraph).

Finally, did the Roku originate in the US? Did you buy it from a US-supplier? 

Is it second-hand or refurbished? That is, might someone from outside the US have previously owned the device? That would cause the firmware to be non-US and give the results we're getting.

Sorry for all the questions, but everything you're reporting indicates that at least one of the following is not true:

• Physically being in the US

• Accessing without VPN/geo-location circumvention methods

• US firmware on the device

Maybe an answer will show the issue, or a questions might trigger something that leads to an explanation.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
debargew
Level 7

Basil,

Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

Your questions:
Do BBC iPlayer, Now TV, or ITV hub show in your list of available channels? That would indicate you're seeing the UK store.
I do see BBC Iplayer but not the other channels you list.

What about VMedia or Cineplex? That would indicate the Canada store.
I do not see these channels.

You said you're East Coast US. Well, that's a large area. Are  you near the Canadian border? If your ISP is actually reporting you in Canada (it happens sometimes for people near the border) then you might get the Canada store.
US East Coast. State of Virginia, In particular, City Of Virginia Beach.

And I have to ask this. You answered already, but -- and don't take this the wrong way -- in the past, others have reported being in the US when they were actually using geolocation tricks to simulate being in the US. So, because of experience with others, please understand that I feel the need to ask again: Are you physically in the US? That is, if you walk out your front door, is that US soil under your feet? Or, are you elsewhere but using a VPN or other means to access the US? Because that might give you the results you're getting.
Understood and no insult taken. I am physically in the US. I cut my grass this morning in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I'm using the area cable and network provider (Cox Cable) for my service. I am not using VPN or any Virtual Servers/Devices to make it look like I am somewhere else.

As far as that goes, are you using a VPN at all? That could also explain some things (tied in to my previous paragraph).
Answered in previous question.

Finally, did the Roku originate in the US? Did you buy it from a US-supplier?
The Roku was purchased at a US Military Exchange overseas. This is kind of like a Walmart for the US Military. I was assured this was a USA product, Might this have something to do with my issue? But I did a factory reset here in the US and I have the same issue.

Is it second-hand or refurbished? That is, might someone from outside the US have previously owned the device? That would cause the firmware to be non-US and give the results we're getting.
I purchased it brand new. Only owner.

Sorry for all the questions, but everything you're reporting indicates that at least one of the following is not true:

• Physically being in the US

• Accessing without VPN/geo-location circumvention methods

• US firmware on the device
Maybe an answer will show the issue, or a questions might trigger something that leads to an explanation.

How can I tell by the firmware if its not US?

And.. seeing how the streaming stick is not very expensive, I'm wondering if I should purchase another device here in the US.

Regards,

BillD
0 Kudos
debargew
Level 7

Basil,
So I went down the street and purchased a brand new Roku Express. I factory reset the old stick, removed it, and then installed the new express stick. Went through all the settings etc.. I get the same issue. No change. So.. obviously not the Roku device. Can't add channels (Pluto, Tubi, etc) from Roku webiste

Regards,

BillD
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I'm assuming you bought the Roku at a Post Exchange, Base Exchange, or Navy Exchange? Or something similar? I've made AAFES purchases in the past.

The results you are experiencing are extremely unusual. BBC iPlayer should only be available in an area where BBC allows, usually UK. So, to summarize, you're not seeing certain US-only content, and are seeing some UK-only content, but not all UK-only content. Maybe it's RotW (Rest of the World) region firmware. That might be driven by the initial setup of your Roku account.

As for a factory reset changing the firmware from non-US to US, I don't think it works that way, but it might. Here's the thing: if it does make the change, we need to check one more thing. When you set your Roku account up initially, were you OCONUS. Did you use an OCONUS address to set it up? APO or FPO, for instance?

If so, that might be the issue. You'd need to either:

• Have Roku change the account to your current address

• Set up a new Roku account with your US address.

You could try the new Roku account method on one of the devices and see if that clears it up. If so, either repeat with the other device, or get the original account move to CONUS.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
debargew
Level 7

I used my home address here in the states. Not an APO, FPO, etc.. I did just buy that Roku Express for the Navy Exchange here in Virginia and it makes me wonder if they are selling "Rest Of the World" firmware or whatever. I'm going to return the Roku Express tomorrow and buy one from Best Buy or a commercial vendor here. Thanks for trying to assist me here.

I'm going to try and set up a new Roku account (doesn't hurt anything) and see what happens with that.

Regards,

BillD
0 Kudos