Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DingoDog
Reel Rookie

The RoyalBox channel charged my account

The RoyalBox Channel did not indicate there would be charge to use it... as I downloaded and scanned to see what was in channel (and I did watch the BBC News for 1/2 hr) I then got an email showing I was billed!!!!! How do I get that removed? I have discarded the channel... how do I know I won't get another billing next month?

9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The RoyalBox channel charged my account

If it's a channel you installed, you can't get a refund. You have paid for a month, so that's the access you'll get. You can ensure you are not charged in the future by going into your Roku user account (https://my.roku.com) and cancel the subscription there. Simply uninstalling a channel does not cancel a subscription.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

I had same issue with RoyalBox ... I emailed as soon as I saw charge (within a few hours).  Found the phone number 816 272 8106 and called as well.  By the time I got the agent on the phone, I was told that the charge had already been removed.  I just received an email confirming the refund.

I told them they should get rid of the app from ROKU store because there was no notification of any charge ... *shrug*

Good luck

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

From what I can see from postings here and my own researches, Royalbox is a very suspect channel (also appearing on non Roku devices including Raspberry Pi).

It seems to be acting as a VPN /remote control / redistributer for BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc, all of which are UK only (and only in UK channel store).  Without permission of BBC etc.

Best avoided, and I don't know why Roku has let channel pass certification, seems to be breaking copyright.  (Roku would not certify vidangel which redistributes content via a family friendly filter, but allows Royalbox?)

BBC are entitled to sell their content to highest bidder abroad, that is part of how they fund content (as a not for profit chartered organisation, part funded by UK annual TV viewing license).  Same for commercial channels in UK (ITV, STV, UTV, S4C, Channel 4, Five, UKTV).

@Danny-R @RokuDanny-R  can you escalate a review of Royalbox?

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Newsmaster

I have the same problem. I searched for channels, saw Royalbox and then received a surprise billing (invoice #12222294889) that Roku has charged me $4.99 plus tax. There was nothing that I saw when I added the channel that this was a premium service and there was certainly no entry that I made allowing Roku to charge me. On this billing I received there is nothing to indicate if this is a one-time charge or if I'm somehow subscribed and that this will be a monthly charge.

This, honestly, is the first bad experience that I've had with Roku and I think that, in good faith, that Roku should refund the charge to all customers who have been duped by this scheme.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just looked at the Roku channel store web site. There are three channels that are labeled RoyalBox. All three seem to be offered by the same company (not Roku themselves) Of the three, two specifically state that they cost $4.99 to install. Since I didn't click the button, I can't say if any warning about the payment appears before it's installed. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Brandon-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @Newsmaster,

We understand your concern and we'd like to assist you with this situation. 

We'll be moving this conversation to a private message to ensure your privacy.

Please keep an eye out for a message from us in your Roku Community inbox.

Best regards,

Brandon

DingoDog
Reel Rookie

Thanks, Brandon... Monitoring site for future updates on this topic... Des

0 Kudos
Bhadaway

Just had this to me as well. I clicked the channel it loaded me in. No prompt for fees or subscription like HBO, Disney, Hulu, etc ...

It charged me. On top of that I can't cancel it on my TV with the manage App option. Its also not showing up in myroku account subscriptions. This app needs to be taken down. Its highly SUS.

Avoid it like the plague.

0 Kudos

Change email address need help getting bet +

0 Kudos