Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Signing up with roku account ? Credit card

Is using a credit card to sign up for a roku account legit ? I just got a new roku stick never used one dont want to be scammed
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Signing up with roku account ? Credit card

Dont do it until you are sure. I may be wrong but I dont remember having to do this.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

How else do I sign up then?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that there is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account.

Linking a payment method, such as a credit card, to your Roku account is to set up Roku Pay. Adding or changing your payment method will not result in charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps such as signing up for a subscription. 

For more information regarding adding a payment method, visit our Support page here: Why is a payment method required when creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Payment info

Why do i need to put my credit card info if theres no payment required? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Payment info

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Miffedatpayment 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that there is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account.

Linking a payment method, such as a credit card, to your Roku account is to set up Roku Pay. Adding or changing your payment method will not result in charges to your account unless you have taken additional steps such as signing up for a subscription. 

For more information regarding adding a payment method, visit our Support page here: Why is a payment method required when creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I think it's unnecessary to require a cc. If someone wants to buy something  they should be prompted to enter it.

I know several people with accounts that do not need cc.

I don't like giving my cc to online stores  just so they can keep it on file. Hackers play ground. 

Just my 2 cents. Yes I had to give mine grudgenly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried the NOCC link and also a couple of other tactics I read about online, but as of January 29th 2020, I was NOT able to activate roku stick+ without payment information being entered.

The NOCC link would let me create an account without entering payment info, but the moment I tried to connect the device to my account, payment\credit card info IS REQUIRED.  There was no way around it.

I would like an answer from support if there is actually a way to do this operation WITHOUT payment details to be entered. 

Judging by the evasive answers being given, this is not something they want out in the wild.

I had plans on using this in some vacation rentals, but there is no way I will be entering any payment information.  The last thing I want is to end up in an argument with a customer over a pin that I will or won't give.