Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valal
Level 8

SCAM for 'Roku upgrade' - I changed my password and they can still access my Roku account??

Purchased a TCL Roku tv from amazon. Setting it up, it asks for Roku account/password info and I got an "error message" and a phone number to call. I was on the tv set up site and it never occurred to me that it was not valid. i was told that Roku was now charging and that I could not use my roku tv unless I paid a one time fee for 4 or 6 roku units going forward. I was stupid and paid.

This bothered me afterwards and I called and asked to 'downgrade my account" and was given the song and dance about how how I'd lose features, including on my remote. Asked if he would email the specs to me, never received them, So more concern. Went on line and read about the scam, Roku never charges to activate or customer service, and filed a complaint with Paypal for refund and changed my Roku acct password. 

This guy calls me and says he IS ROKU and that they never charge for customer service, but since I had 2 rokus, I had to upgrade. I told him this was misrepresented to me and I didnt beleive he was truly from Roku, he told me he'd de activate my account, I said go ahead. He gave me the last 4 #'s of my credit card, which I had just put in for a trial subscription for disney streaming, so despite the fact that the I changed my password he can still access my account information. I cannot reach anyone at Roku to confirm he actually IS workign for Roku, dont beleive there's an upgrade price. He's tell me he can refund my full charge, but I have to tell Paypal we mutually agreed to resolve this and THEN he'll put thru the reversal of charges. I think this is BS. 

I feel pretty stupid that I fell for this, but I am concerned that he's still able to access my Roku account. Are there other steps I should be taking?? 

11 Replies
valal
Level 8

Re: SCAM for 'Roku upgrade' - I changed my password and they can still access my Roku account??

I should add that i am not using more than 2 Rokus (tho Roku seems to state this is not an issue) because I no longer need the one that I had hooked up to my old tv if I have a ROKU TV with it built in. 

atc98092
Level 16

Re: SCAM for 'Roku upgrade' - I changed my password and they can still access my Roku account??

I have no idea who you contacted, but Roku does not charge to register devices, nor for customer support. There are no "levels" for Roku accounts, so there's nothing to upgrade or downgrade. There's no limit to the number of Roku devices you can have on a single account. I think I had 6 at one time, but have given a couple of them away to family. 

How that contact number appeared on your TV I can't say. But I'll wager it wasn't an authentic Roku support number. I hope you used a credit card and can challenge the payment you made. I hate those scammers...

I don't think he still has access to your account. My guess is he's still using information he had previously gathered. Just don't trust any calls you get like that. They sound like real scumbags. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@valal 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—I would like to look more into this for you.

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device you are trying to activate. I'll continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
valal
Level 8

Hi Danny,

But are you REALLYwith Roku!? LOL!

I'm glad Iused Paypal, but get this...when I filed for a refund and explained the situation to them, they said the "seller" will have til 12/7 to respond and if they dont, I'll automatically get my  money back. I said "ok, what if they respond, but they're still a scam", she said they will have to provide proof of who they say t hey are etc. 

So after I filed with Paypal, I get a phone call within an hour....Did you know that Roku customer service is apparently sitting around watching their paypal account??What a bunch of BS! The guy tells me he IS from Roku and wants to know who I talked to at Roku who says he's not. He said "oh, we nevercharge for service, but you have 2 Roku's so you needed to upgrade your account to activate the additional device. I said I'm no longer using the plug in, so I'm not using more than 2 rokus....he wanted to BS me more, and I wanted to see how he was going to get around this. He said he'd have no problem returning the full amount, I just had to notify Paypal that the dispute has been settled between the 2 of us and they have "siezed the funds" so he can't issue the refund until Ido that. I know enough about Paypal and how it works that that's BS. So I called paypal back and they confirmed. They said the send a message to the seller and the first option they have is to refund the money. And that the reason he's doing this is because if you close the case, it's considered settled and you cannot reopen it again and file a grievance. Honestly, these guys are something. 

So my son, who Ihad shared some of this, arrived for Thanksgiving weekend and I'm continuing to tell him the story and about the phone call, and he's like "customer services will never call you like that, and if you ever get a phone number to call, you dont call it because milllenials dont want to talk to anyone"So I had a good laugh over that one. 

We reset my Roku TV and my plug in Roku to factory settings, wiping out the "bonus channels" the "Roku Customer Service"had installed when I activated my tv and I am just providing details here so that anyone can be forewarned. I THINK I'm all set. Will wait for 12/7 for Paypal. 

When we signed into my Roku account, we also noticed (before the factory reset)that when you have a credit card on account, there is a graphic with the credit card and the last 4 numbers shown on the screen, so I'm assuming this is what they could see. Iwill monitor my credit card and think I will even call and get a new account number to be safe. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

One thing you can be sure of is anyone with their name starting with Roku, and having the Roku tag in front of their name is that they really are a Roku employee. The forum won't let a non-employee create a user name with Roku in the name. Smiley Happy

Glad you used PayPal for your payment. Since the seller can't prove they are who they say they are (because they aren't who they say they are!), you'll get your money back. Smart to reset your TV as well, since there's no telling what the scammer might have put on there. I can't believe the BS that these scammers use. It's unfortunate that there's nothing that can be done, since most likely they aren't located within US territorial control, so our laws are useless against them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
whiteknight
Level 8

Just called them today because my unit lost all memory when I moved the USB power to another outlet and would not register the new code ... He told me my account had expired and I needed to setup a new one and ask if I wanted there service for 1 Year, 2 or 3 years ... WTF !! ... I told him my documentation said it was free to register your TV as I already had paid services I gust needed the apps running to log into ... 

He hung up the phone on me.  Worst Rip off customer service

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 16

@whiteknight wrote:

Just called them today because my unit lost all memory when I moved the USB power to another outlet and would not register the new code ... He told me my account had expired and I needed to setup a new one and ask if I wanted there service for 1 Year, 2 or 3 years ... WTF !! ... I told him my documentation said it was free to register your TV as I already had paid services I gust needed the apps running to log into ... 

He hung up the phone on me.  Worst Rip off customer service

You did not call Roku support. You reached a scam site. Roku does not offer a toll-free support phone number. Roku does not, and never has charged for an account, registering a device, or providing support. I really hope you didn't give them any personal information of any kind. 

Dan
0 Kudos
whiteknight
Level 8

No ... He wanted the code that the tv said to input onto the site and my email address then he hung up when I told him NO to a 1-3 year subscription ... I turned off the Roku unit to reset it and started over with a new code, went online to the proper site and logged back in and it worked ... 

whiteknight
Level 8

is it normal for this model to lose all internal memory when unplugged, even for 30 seconds?

0 Kudos