Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Scam Alert !! Amazon Prime setup.

Jump to solution

I've seen a few people SAY it was on their TV screen, but I haven't seen any example of that.  Can you reproduce it and take a picture?

The more simple explanation goes like this:

Amazon tells you to go to a URL and enter a link code.

Victim goes to computer or (probably worse) a phone or tablet and sort-of enters the URL.  "Sort of" refers to many mistakes that people can make such as searching instead of just going to the URL, mistyping, allowing auto-correct to do something, accepting a suggestion from a browser etc.

This leads them to a website like amazonish.com/link and no matter what you enter there, you get an error that your code didn't work, and you shouldn't try again because that could damage your device, and you need to call so a person can size you up and determine the best scam for you.  These websites are constantly being created with names similar to amazon, roku etc.

C_C
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Amazon Prime Video Scam: Instructed to call number

Jump to solution

Still happening April 2022

0 Kudos
johnsnook

Re: Scam Alert !! Amazon Prime setup.

Jump to solution

I was scammed while trying to activate my Amazon Prime on My new Roku Soundbar Pro. I did NOT go to a web site this came directly from the Amazon Prime application on Roku. When the set up code did not work I was instructed to call a number and the person on the other end knew my name, mobile number and address, so I thought I was actually in contact with Amazon. All the while I am on the phone with this thief. He said that in order to activate my Prime I would have to accept a $50 charge to my debit card and that charge would be reversed as soon as my account was activated. Then he did reverse that charge because he said something went wrong and I would have to agree to another charge of $50, which would also be reversed but in order to fix the problem he would have to take control of my pc. I was skeptical, but agreed, all the while I am looking at my bank account on my pc. Then the other $50 charge showed up and also a $400 charge. At that time I told him that I did NOT agree to any $400 charge and he needed to reverse that charge immediately. That is when my pc screen went black so I could not see what was going on. I told him at that time he needed to return my screen immediately or I would shut the pc down and I reiterated that   once more with no results or response, so I shut the pc down. I rebooted and found the program he installed and deleted it so he couldn't regain control. I then called my bank and disputed the charges and canceled my card. They reversed the $50 and the $400 right away. The next day another $50 charge showed up in my account, so I had to call again and dispute that charge. It is currently processing so I am not sure it will be removed. It is my opinion that this scam came from the Roku program itself because I did not go to a web site to cause this, it came directly from trying to load the Amazon Prime program. And since he knew my info, the only way he could have known that was from my Roku account, and almost no one but family has my mobile number, with the exception of Roku. If that charge is not reversed, I think Roku should be responsible! So far all they have offered to do is write a letter to my bank and explain the circumstances.

Texan1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was setting up Roku Express and unable to log into Prime video. The phone number I called was directly on the TV screen log-in page. I didn't think twice about calling and a woman from India, perhaps, offered assistance.  I cannot recall everything but she asked me the codes on the TV and other related info that seemed relevant.  She appeared to be the real deal confirming everything with the Greek alphabet but it was difficult to understand her due to the thick accent which, again, is quite normal.  Also, she knew details like my address and the last four numbers of my credit card which put me at ease.  She sent a few emails with some details about Amazon but it was difficult to read while talking to her. Also, she informed me about the price increases and I couldn't use Prime video until paid.  Anyway, she wanted me to use Paypal for the charges and that's when my radar went off and I decided to hang up.  A few minutes later I realized my Amazon membership might be compromised by the emails she sent.  Sure enough one of the emails was changing my Amazon password and was locked out.  Quickly, I called Amazon and re-established control and it doesn't appear any harm was done.  Unfortunately, the guy with Amazon said he did not know what Roku was (hard to believe) and was not interested in this scam whatsoever.  All he cared about was getting me logged back into Amazon.  This is a very scary "Trojan Horse".  Who would be expecting such a scam? 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Texan1, azstreamwebsolutions has nothing to do with Amazon.  You may remember it differently, but I'd be willing to bet the bogus number was on your phone or computer screen and not your TV screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DerbyRussell
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Amazon Prime Video Scam

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TV.  Amazon Prime was already installed years ago but no account ever signed in.  When I entered my information, it said invalid password or username.  I tried 7 times.  It kept saying call: 888-983-1185.  Finally I did.  They said I could get 2 years of Amazon Prime and they will fix this issue.  But it would cost me $199.99.  I felt uncomfortable but it sounded legit.  My card account showed: JAYDEWEBMEDIA.COM for $199.99.  I am fighting this charge right now.

0 Kudos
C_C
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This must be a pretty common scam which I didn't know about until having the same problem you did.  My credit card company did cancel the charge.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I googled the phone number and found this:

https://scammer.info/t/amazon-prime-888-983-1185/99683

That page says the phone number no longer responds so they’ve probably already moved to a different one.

0 Kudos
Texan1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This scam is unexpected and your guard is down.  That's the most dangerous, of course, and could have been worse.  I didn't listen to my instincts, at first, unfortunately.  Will try not to make that mistake again.

0 Kudos
DerbyRussell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Credit Union Cancelled the transaction and I did not loose $199.99.  So happy.

0 Kudos