Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEGilbert
Reel Rookie

Roku Amazon Prime Video Scam

Jump to solution

I just received a Roku Express yesterday.  When I attempted to link my Prime Video with the Roku I was instructed to call a 1-800-511-1221. 

I reached a person who said she was going to help me.  She represented herself as a Prime Video support tech.  She then asked if I would like to sign up to have Prime on 5 devices and also pay $149 for 2 years of Prime.  It sounded legit and would be cheaper than my annual fee with Amazon. 

Unfortunately I fell for it and am now out $149 for nothing.  I reported the scam to Paypal and am hoping to get reimbursed.  BEWARE!  I'm wondering about Roku's involvement since the #  came up on the Roku screen?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Amazon Prime Video Scam

Jump to solution

@DerbyRussell wrote:

Also, new issue:  I am unable to ever log into my Amazon Prime account on a Roku device.  Why? Because everytime I enter my username and password for the Amazon Prime account, the scammers change my password.  Then I have to change my password again in Amazon.  But unable to ever watch Amazon Prime on my Roku device.

You seem to not be aware that you can log in to Amazon Prime Video on Roku without using your password. Read the screen carefully. There is an option to log in on a computer or mobile device. If I remember correctly, it's https://amazon.com/mytv or something similar. Look for that on the Amazon Prime Video screen.

You go to the Website on your browser and log in to Amazon there, not on Roku. Then enter the code that shows on your Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The way these happen is:

The service (Amazon etc.) tells you to go to a URL and enter a code.  When they do this, they expect you to do exactly that. However, quite a few people don't.  There are many ways to go wrong on this, including:

Type the URL incorrectly.  Just look at the way there are 50+ ways to spell Roku on a Roku forum - mis-typing is easy. Or:

Enter the URL into a search field instead of a URL field.  (Some people don't know the difference, some people do but occasionally goof.) Or:

As you are typing, your browser is set to offer search suggestions, and you click on one of those instead of continuing to type.

Then, once you get there, you don't look at the URL field to make sure that it actually points to a domain for the service that you are trying to link to.

Once at one of these fake sites, they tell you you have to call so they can size you up and see how much they can get out of you.  These sites are often Advertised sites (ie: they pay to be ranked highly) - especially if google is your search engine of choice. (Bing was MUCH "cleaner" last time I checked.)

MEGilbert
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fortunately I received a reimbursement.   I hope these scammers get caught and punished severely!  I'm normally an uber cautious and suspicious person but these clever a-holes managed to reel me in!

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, in our highly connected world, these scammers are typically in other countries using prepaid cell phones and can be hard to track.  Many of them learned to speak well to Americans while working in call centers, which US companies moved there for the low wages. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, the odds of them getting caught is pretty slim. While Roku has worked with the search engines (Google and Bing) to remove the scam sites, they simply wait a bit and create new ones. And they've also branched out to intercept other services, such as you encountered with Prime Video. 

I moderate a couple of other forum sites, and the past month or so has seen a huge increase in spam posts. It is those spam posts that cause those bogus sites to rise up in the search engine lists. They seem to go in cycles, and I don't think the current cycle has peaked yet. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
KatGirlNS

Jump to solution

Same thing just happened with me; scammed for $149.99 (actually 187.21); charged to my credit card as RKU INFOCOM.  We switched telephone providers and was resetting my accounts and this happened.  I'm not pleased with Roku, seems the issue is on their end. Fortunately because it was to my credit card and realizing what happened it's being credited back and a fraud case has been opened with my bank.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@KatGirlNS There is no issue with Roku. These scammers try to make themselves look like they are affiliated with the company, but in reality there is no connection. They catch unsuspecting users with bogus web sites. Roku has attempted many times to get them shut down, but when one is caught they simply start a new one. 

Dan

0 Kudos
BS8

Jump to solution

I was scammed too for $130.00 cdn and was told that I wouldn't have to pay for my prime video for the next 2 years.  She said it was because of the pandemic that Prime was doing this. As soon as I signed the document, the money came out of my account and immediately after that Prime Video charged me $9.03.  So pissed off and so tired of people taking advantage of people with little funds.  The only reason I contacted Prime was because my tv wouldn't accept my Prime and was looking for tech help.  Didn't happen and I'm still not able to watch it!  and I advise everyone else to do the same.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@BS8 sorry to hear that. It wasn't Prime you contacted unfortunately. Those scammers are quite good at creating web sites that seem to be legit, and they know all the right words to make you believe. If you used a credit card, immediately contest the charge with your provider. You should be able to get your money back. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Jimc259

Scam Alert !! Amazon Prime setup.

Jump to solution

I bought a new Roku Premiere and proceeded to setup. Everything was fine until I tried to access Amazon prime. Which I had on my previous Roku. During setup, it asked for the OTP code. The provide one didn’t work but a phone number appeared on the Tv. My mistake was calling. However they had my account info, address and mobile phone number. After verification, my payment ( dumb). A new code showed up on the tv, and it worked. It is called “Big screen streaming  service “.  Beware , but man they had all my info and very smooth. Question is: how can they intervene on the tv during the setup process?